SGA discourages wearing headdresses at FSU athletic events

Mixed emotions have been received by students and alumni

UPDATE: SGA has not “banned” headdresses from being warn during athletic events, but discourages it. According to the Student Body Statutes (401.1) this is a “formal expressions of the opinion or will of the Senate,” rather than a binding university policy.

The Student Government Association at Florida State University recently addressed wearing Native American headdresses at official university athletic events.

In the FSU bylaws Resolution 15 explained the guidelines Florida State must uphold in order to represent the Seminole Tribe. The Seminole Tribe expressed their “distaste for this appropriation of culture” and has lead SGA to discourage students and alumni to wear headdresses to athletic events since “it inaccurately depicts the culture of the Seminole Tribe.”

Photo credit: Joe Robbins: Getty Images

Mixed emotions have been received by students and alumni, with one party stating the university has become too politically correct, and the discouragement infringes on the 1st amendment rights of spectators and others stating we can honor the university and it’s mascot in other ways.

Even though students have been dismissed for the summer, those in Tallahassee responded on Yik Yak.

The Tab has reached out to the Student Body president for comment.

Florida State University