What it’s like being a non-partier at a party school

Yes I still have fun

College is a social experience and it gives us the opportunity to meet new people and forge new relationships. However, just because you don’t like hitting the party scene, does not mean you’re antisocial. If you do enjoy going out and clubbing that is fine too. College is about being independent and doing what makes you happy.

I can confidently say I have never been to any bar or club in Tally in my two years at FSU. I know, it’s crazy.  I would rather have an exciting night watching Netflix or hanging out at home with friends.

I am not ashamed to admit I have no desire to go clubbing, and I have gotten over the remarks of surprise from people, like: “You’ve seriously never been out to a club in Tally? We must get you out!” Please no. I have driven past The Strip at 2 AM and it looks like where your dignity goes to die a slow death.

So what do you do in Tallahassee if you don’t want to go to a club?

Watching a time-consuming TV series

Netflix is always a great excuse to not go out, and the longer the series is, the better. I recommend something addicting like House of Cards. Or if you want a comedy, I recommend my personal favorite How I Met Your Mother. I can live my life vicariously through the gang at MacLaren’s Pub.

Invite friends to your place or go to theirs

Inviting friends to your house allows you to have a great night with friends in the comfort of your own home. I always feel more relaxed at home and an added bonus is that you don’t have to worry about driving home at the end of the night.

Get pizza with friends

Have you ever finished an extra large pizza from Momo’s in one night with only three friends? That I can confidently say I have done. There should be an award for being able to finish those monstrous sized pizzas in one sitting. Those pizzas are enormous… I once saw a guy struggling to fit one into his car. Now that is what I call a good night.

Try something new

A good thing about not partying all night is that you won’t be hungover. Think of all the things you can accomplish if you weren’t hungover on a Saturday morning? One place, in particular, you need to check out is Providence Canyon Park in Georgia. They call it “the Little Grand Canyon” and it is definitely worth the two-hour drive.

We also have some awesome things to do in Tallahassee too. There are First Fridays at Railroad Square Market, which is always a great place to try great food and meet local vendors. Also, Madison Social hosts Tuesday Trivia at 6:30 PM. It is possible to go out and have fun without the loud music and flashing lights.

So whether you like going out or staying in, FSU is a great place to meet new people and make memories to last a lifetime.

Florida State University