Man arrested in Suwannee after campus ban for sleeping in Stroz

‘He repeatedly tried to get me to go somewhere alone with him after he had only introduced himself five minutes earlier’

Around 9pm Tuesday night FSUPD apprehended a tall, dirty blonde haired male, at Suwannee dining hall.

FSUPD confirmed the suspect, Robert Stewart Shofner II, was arrested due to a previous trespassing warning issued on March 21st from sleeping in Strozier Library.

A female freshman told The Tab her friends spoke to Shofner before he was arrested in Suwannee. He claimed to be a junior at Florida State living in Deviney. “He came up to their table and asked if he could sit with them, but at first our guy friend said no. But then they felt bad and told him to come sit with them. He tried to get their numbers but they said no.

“They feel incredibly unsettled hearing what happened today.”

Major Jim Russell, the deputy chief of police and public information officer confirmed the man arrested was Robert Stewart Shofner II. After further research The Tab found Robert Shofner Jr was a student athlete at Duke University and was a linebacker for the football team.

Major Russell also confirmed on March 21st Robert was issued a trespassing warning after he was caught sleeping in Stroz.

In a statement, Officer Daniel Sherer said: “At approximately 8:24pm, Shofner was observed in the Suwanee Dining Facility on FSU Main Campus. Officer Blair and I made contact with Shofner at one of the tables in the Suwanee Dining Facility.

“Shofner was taken into custody for trespass after warning. When asked, Shofner indicated he knew he has trespass warning but believed it was a bluff and was not actually an arrestable offense.”

Another freshman student spoke to Shofner earlier in the week, as he interacted with multiple FSU students in the dining hall before his arrest in Suwannee. Freshman Hannah told The Tab: “He was really sweet and nice but you could tell there was something a little bit off.

“He repeatedly tried to get me to go somewhere alone with him after he had only introduced himself five minutes earlier.”

Hannah said Shofner lied about his age claiming to be 21. She didn’t question his status as a student since he was in the dining hall.

Florida State University