14-year-old boy arrested for raping UF student in apartment gym

He was transported to the Alachua County Juvenile Assessment Center.

Following the sexual assault of a UF female student on Nov. 15, at Tivoli Apartments, GPD has released that the perpetrator is now in custody. Though he was first described in the victim’s statement as as 18- to 21-years-old, he has been identified as a 14-year-old boy.

The incident occurred around 6:20 p.m. on Nov. 15 at Tivoli when a female UF student had been working out in her apartment’s gym. The perpetrator had knocked on the door and she let him in, according to police reports. It was then that he pulled the student into the bathroom.

“In the bathroom he physically attacked her to include punching her in the face and grabbing her throat all while trying to pull her pants off,” the UF alert reads. “The suspect then exposed himself and sexually battered the victim.”

According to GPD’s statement, the 14-year-old rapist had returned, three days after the attack, to the apartment complexes of Tivoli and Bivens Cove with his 13-year-old brother for an attempted burglary.

GPD had been conducting undercover surveillance in the area when they saw the two “walking around the complexes and concealing themselves in the shadows of breezeways and the buildings.”

As the undercover cops approached the two boys, they allegedly had been lifting a window to an apartment to break in. Upon further interrogation, statements confirmed that the 14-year-old boy had committed the prior rape.

The 14-year-old was arrested for sexual battery, business burglary, occupied residential burglary, attempted armed residential burglary and resisting arrest. His 13-year-old brother was arrested for attempted residential burglary.

The two boys were transported to the Alachua County Juvenile Assessment Center.

University of Florida: UF