Puerto Rican non-profit group encourages the continuation of fundraising for hurricane victims

People are still being affected and you can do something to help.

Sindia Rivera-Jimenez, a UF chemical engineer professor and Puerto Rican native, was the guest speaker at the PResente meeting held Friday night at the Civic Media Center. She moved from Puerto Rico five years ago and began teaching at UF, and has family currently being affected by the recent hurricane to hit the island she calls home.

When Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, it left behind a massive devastation that impacted the island beyond the initial hit. Rivera-Jimenez mentioned more deaths occurred after the hurricane than from the hurricane. This was largely due to the lack of sustainability on the island including, medical aid, clean water and electricity. 50% of the island is still without power, Rivera-Jimenez said.

PResente’s mission is to contribute economic and socio-cultural development of Puerto Rico. The group started Aug. 31, 2017, and has raised around $17,000 since then, said Claribel Nuñez, speaker and member of PResente. In addition to financial contributions, the organization accepts non-perishable items of aid for donation. Some useful items Nuñez mentioned were water and bug spray.

Audience member Estevan Hernandez, 29, felt inspired at after the fundraising meeting. He said, “People have to know that they do have the power to make a difference.”

You can donate and learn how to become more involved through the organization's follow sites:

www.PResente.org

Paypal: presente786

University of Florida: UF