R.L. Stine at UF: The man of the hour

I get those goosebumps every time

The University of Florida bounces back from the L it took on its last guest speaker (Richard Spencer), and welcomed Goosebumps author, R.L. Stine, to speak at the University Auditorium Tuesday night.

Photo taken by Zack Archer

Stine spoke to hundreds of people who gathered to hear their favorite childhood story writer. The audience consisted of some adults and children, but the majority present were millennials who were fan-girling hard over their childhood hero.

The man who made reading chapter books bearable as a kid read the crowd his favorite fan mail, answered some common FAQs and gave his most important advice.

"Dear R.L. Stine, I've read 40 of your books and I find them boring."

That was Stine's favorite fan letter he shared with the audience.

Stine revealed his most commonly asked question as a writer to be, "Where do you get your ideas from?"

The author said, "I wanted to kill myself." While on a book tour in China, the majority of the kids asked, "How do you do Mr. Stine? Where do you get your ideas from?"

He told the crowd his most important advice was to say yes to everything. Stine said his "yes man" mentality got him to where he's at today. He shamefully mentioned accepting a job as a freelancer for story captioning S&M pictures — revealing his double narrative of freakiness.

The Tab stayed for his 15 minute Q&A to question the horror author:

Photo taken by Zack Archer

Hey Mr. Stine. I'm not sure you're aware, but Richard Spencer was our most recent speaker prior to you. So I have to ask: What's scarier? His views or your books?

To which Stine replied, "I thought I was coming first and I'd be his warm up act."

*Crowd laughs and applauds*

University of Florida: UF