The owner of Orlando Pulse Nightclub is coming to speak at UF

And you should totally attend this speech instead of Richard Spencer’s

The owner of the Orlando Pulse Nightclub, Barbara Poma, is coming to speak at the University of Florida to offer insight on how to move on from tragedies with resilience and compassion.

Located at the College of Public Health and Health Professions, her address is part of the Girls Summit. It will open its doors to the public at 10 a.m. on October 22nd to present various speakers and presentations — hosted by UF’s chapter of She’s The First. The organization provides scholarships for girls in low-income countries and aims to promote education, diversity, and empowerment through this event.

Poma’s address will share her own story regarding the Orlando shooting, while emphasizing the importance of tenacity and tolerance. It will be followed by a Q&A about her attempts to commemorate those affected by the tragedy.

Stephanie Gonzalez, 19-year-old Summit director, said, “I hope this Summit shows how anybody can turn a negative event in their life into a positive step forward by promoting love, respect and the importance of an education.”

She went on to say, “This is a message that I think will resonate with all attendees and the change-making scholars we help support.”

University of Florida: UF