Every type of dancer you’ll meet at UF’s Dance Marathon

Stop break dancing you’re making me look bad

Dance Marathon is an incredible event that occurs annually at UF where tons of charitable students come out to dance for 26.2 hours to support the Children’s Miracle Network.  Last year in 2016, DM at UF raised a total of $2,434,315.18 for the UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital.

With more than 800 people on their feet For the Kids, infinite characters emerge throughout the night. Whether you’ve been to DM or are looking to attend,

These are the dancers that you will be sure to find there:

The person who did questionable things for their DM donations

Some people had to have a certain amount of donations in order to become a dancer. When they start telling you all the things they did, some of them are rather questionable. They did the most; some of these things include being their friend’s personal Uber, or doing dares, such as screaming in the library, jumping in the Broward pool, etc. They said they’d kill to be a dancer, and you believe them.

Crazy people who never seem to run out of energy

The first hour the dance floor is electrified; everyone is beyond excited to throw down the moves after months of preparation. However, as the clock ticks on, the people wind down (understandably so) — except for that one guy…

You’re on hour 22 and he’s still dancing like it’s hour two. He’s probably a pre-med student if he’s this used to not getting any sleep. You wonder how much studying he gets in at night and feel a little envious. This is probably the guy at the club who stays until the lights turn on.

Do something today that your future self will be proud of. #ThoughtfulThursday (?: @yearjames)

A post shared by Miracle Network Dance Marathon (@dancemarathon) on Mar 9, 2017 at 10:48am PST

The pro-dancer that shows off

OK we get it, you have dance experience. No one expects you to breakdance and yet you’re out here twirling on your head making us look bad. You’re wondering if they signed up just to be a dancer so they could have this shining moment TBH. You took a hip hop fitness class once at the Student Recreation Center and you try to whip out some of those moves, but to no avail. They have you beat. Hard.

#mondaymotivation: @ysu_guinathon $18,247.62 raised at their first Dance Marathon! That's something worth flipping out for.

A post shared by Miracle Network Dance Marathon (@dancemarathon) on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:32am PST

Then there’s that awkward dancer that’s trying their best

They just kind of flap their arms and sway in the corner, slightly off of the beat. Maybe they’re just tired? They seem uncomfortable so you’re wondering why they signed up to be a dancer rather than event staff. These people just kind of line the outer corners of the room, and they usually travel solo. Some of them, rather than dancing too little, dance too much. They awkwardly dab, fist pump, or pull out a move their parents must have taught them from the 80’s. Yikes.  

The person who complains the entire time

They’re telling every person they see how hungry they are, how tired they are, and all about the the exam they need to be studying for. If you hear them complaining about their feet hurting for one more second, you might consider running out of the event entirely. Don’t they know what they signed up for? The negativity is bringing you down and it makes you think about your own problems.  

The person who eats the entire time

Everyone usually orders food or has friends bring them something, but this person takes it to a whole new level. You swear you saw them eating Sushi-2-Go five minutes ago and now they’re chowing down on a Jimmy John’s sub.

Dancing takes energy, but you’re pretty sure that consuming all this food is doing the opposite and is just weighing them down. Those Midnight Cookies they just got delivered look real good… maybe just a teeny bite.

Who knows, some of these could be your friends, or even you. Regardless, with these dancers, it will definitely be an interesting and exciting time at DM UF.

After all, it’s FTK.

University of Florida: UF