Two UF students killed in car crash

Carolina Alfano and Nicole Scherten were leaving the Okeechobee Music & Arts Festival

[UPDATE 3/8/16, 9:34am]: The passenger in Alfano’s car has been identified as German exchange student Nicole Scherten. She was a student in UF’s College of Arts and Sciences.

Alfano and Scherten were leaving the Okeechobee Music & Arts Festival when they were hit.

Two UF students were killed on their drive home from school Sunday afternoon after being hit while at a stop sign in Okeechobee County.

Their car was one of three vehicles stopped going southbound at SE 128th Avenue when Joseph David Lagrego, 22, struck Caroline Celeste Alfano’s, 20, Honda CR-V from behind, resulting in a four-car collision. They were heading home to Boca Raton, FL.

Alfano’s passenger, unidentified, was pronounced dead at the scene while Alfano was taken to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center later to be pronounced dead at 11:03 p.m.

Alfano was a beloved friend and involved student. She worked as a lifeguard at UF RecSports and was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.

President Kent Fuchs released a statement via Twitter that said, “Just learned that two wonderful UF students died in a car accident driving home to S FL for Spring Break. We miss and love you all. Pls be safe.”

This is a developing story.

Photos: Caroline Alfano / Facebook.

University of Florida: UF