I’m in an international LDR in college, and I couldn’t be happier

Drinking beer and eating discount chocolate alone on my couch this Valentine’s Day isn’t just for singles

When it comes to love, few places make a more unique breeding ground than a college campus. Everywhere you turn hookups, heartbreak, relationships, and “oh we’re just talking,” lie around the corner. From complex interracial relationships, to the basic frat star and sorority princess, almost everyone finds a form of love on campus at sometime during their college career.

THIS BAE (def. talking about Florence)

So why in the world would I ever put myself through the strife of a transcontinental relationship in college?

I get asked this all the time.  When I tell people about my long distance relationship, the most frequent response I get is,  “Oh your boyfriend lives in Italy?  What, you couldn’t get a boyfriend in America?” Ruuuude.

Well thank you very much for assuming the worst of me, I’m positive I get eventually get a boyfriend in America if I so wanted, but the person I want to be with just happens to live in Italy.  NBD.

Don’t get me wrong.  I get the general distaste for long distance relationships.  Someone the other day told me, “I couldn’t do what you do.  When I want to see my girl, I want to see her then.  Not a 15 hour flight away.”  And I totally get that.  I once was planning to break it off with an ex because he was moving to NYC (I live in FL), and didn’t want to deal with long distance in college.  He ended up cheating on me later that week, so it made everything a whole lot easier for me (LOL). But the intention was still there.

And there’s also this question: “Don’t you guys ever feel insecure and worry one of you will cheat?”

This is a fear literally everyone has when entering a relationship.  One of my exes lived five miles down the road from me and cheated on me, so really distance doesn’t have anything to do with cheating.  If someone is going to cheat, it’s because they’re not invested in the relationship, not because they live 6,000 miles away.

I kid you not, six months after this breakup, I met my ~now~ boyfriend in Italy, and three months after we met we decided to make it an official committed relationship. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions, but after over a year and a half in, I couldn’t be happier.

Since everyone always talks about the lonesome and difficult part of LDRs, I’m gonna tell you about the best parts.  Get ready for #SappCity.

We see each other a lot more often than anyone ever thinks

I think the longest period I’ve ever gone without seeing my boyfriend since we’ve started dating is three months.  When we do reunite it’s for a week, or sometimes a month or more at a time.  So really, you telling me I never see my boyfriend is a bunch of crap, because in total, I probably see him more than that guy you’re half dating.

Our airport reunions are so much sweeter than you could imagine

I remember the first time he flew into visit. As he came through the gate, his face turned bright red because he was blushing so hard.  It’s like every time we reunite is the honeymoon phase. Yeah, it only stays that way for a few weeks (a month tops), but it’s rare that people can revisit that phase in their relationship.

I get all the me time I want and need

One of the biggest riffs in relationships I’ve encountered has to be the “I never feel like I have me time anymore.” That, or friends complaining about you never having time to hang out with them because you’re always with your significant other. Well, that almost never happens. I am free to be myself and do the things I want to do. I always keep the BF updated with everything that’s going on (not that it’s much because I’m a senior and have no social life anymore, woo!). But when stuff is going on, he’s usually the first to know besides mom, and then I go do it.  Instead of constantly bickering over where to eat, what to do, what the dress code is– it’s usually my own decision.

…and our #FollowMeTo pictures are kinda cool (still a little lame).

Cute care packages for no reason at all: FTW

Nothing’s more fun than getting a box full of surprises from the other side of the world, amirite?

We’ve travelled more together than most couples will in their entire lifetime

In the USA from D.C., Virginia, and Florida, to literally all over Europe. We’ve shared kisses on two continents, five countries, and countless cities, and that number probably isn’t going to stop growing.  Because why would it? While a weekend trip while I’m visiting is a quick flight to Barcelona, when he visits it’s a road trip to the Keys or Disney World.

Distance really does make the heart grow fonder

When you spend months apart from each other at a time, the little annoying things about them– like him leaving his laundry in the bathroom floor always and my hair shedding literally everywhere (I CAN’T CONTROL IT)– seem to not matter as much.  Little arguments when you’re together are pushed to the side because you don’t want to ruin your time together, and while yes, arguments do happen, they are usually resolved quickly. You learn how to communicate when you’re apart and savor the time you have together.

Distance doesn’t matter when it’s your best friend

Are you gonna stop being friends with your BFF who just got an amazing gig in San Francisco because she’s on the other side of the country? No.  So why should I stop being in a relationship with someone on the other side of the world?  The answer is I shouldn’t.  If it’s with someone you genuinely love and care about- it’ll figure itself out.  No, it isn’t easy. But seriously, every relationship takes some TLC.

University of Florida: UF