UF students are petitioning a sanctuary campus for undocumented students

Students are asking for more from a university that prides itself on diversity

Trump’s travel ban has elicited a wide range of emotions from people globally. But here at UF, a group of students known as the Gators for a Sanctuary Campus have taken it upon themselves to prompt the university to protect its undocumented students and faculty.

Through Change.org, the organization has created a petition asking UF administration to keep personal information confidential, prevent immigration law enforcement from on campus raids, and encourage campus police to decline the enforcement of immigration law.

The transcript of the petition is as follows:

“It is the belief of Gators for a Sanctuary Campus, that the University of Florida should uphold its commitment to fostering a safe community for all students and faculty. At this moment in time, the safety of undocumented students and faculty is paramount and at risk. Thus, we, the students of the University of Florida, petition the administration of the UF, including President Kent Fuchs, to establish the University of Florida as a sanctuary campus under these provisions;

1. To not share students’ personal information, including address and immigration status, with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),
  2. Prevent immigration law enforcement agencies from conducting raids on campus,
  3. Encourage campus police officers to decline to take on the responsibility of enforcing immigration law.

If this goal is not met, undocumented students and faculty are at risk of deportation and the diversity of this university is threatened, along with the retention rate for many years to come. We call on our University to value and protect our fellow Gators.

President Fuchs, you have made your support for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) clear, citing the university’s core belief of “inclusion and diversity.” We ask that you boldly extend that grace to secure any undocumented students and faculty from any deportation threats.

We respectfully ask you, President Fuchs, to meet the needs of undocumented students and faculty at this university and to secure their pursuit of happiness in this country.”

Janine Sikes, UF’s Assistant Vice President of Public Affairs, has stated that the university will “uphold its commitment to fostering a safe community for all students and faculty,” but will also continue to follow the law.

The goal is to reach 1,500 signatures, the count currently at 1,381.

Click here to sign the petition.

University of Florida: UF