Gatorback: Not your typical area sporting event

If you have never seen a motorcycle race, you are definitely missing out

The time of the year has come when the Florida Trail Riders grace Gainesville with their presence for the annual Gatorback motorcycle race. Technically out in Newberry- if you have ever been to Blue Highway Pizza, just keep going a few miles west- the riders have temporarily marked their territory with the trademark of FTR (Florida Trail Riders): a dark tree with a bright orange backdrop.

Toolbox belonging to longtime rider, Greg Wrobel

This infamous symbol remains exciting to those who have never seen it and comforting to those who have been attached to it for years. The event lasts from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon including races with a range of riders. Young riders (Peewee riders- how cute is that?!) and 4 wheelers race on Saturdays while Sundays are strictly motorcycle races with one at 10:30AM and the other at 1PM. Dozens of campers and RV’s come to stay the whole weekend.

I strike a glamorous pose while the riders set up before the start

Before the race starts, a speaker and FTR member reminds all the riders to be safe, smart, and have a great time. The national anthem plays and everyone stands in silence. On the very last note the riders rev up their bikes, sending a united roar into the sky. The riders are divided by classes, decided by several factors such as age and speed. According to their class, the riders line up in rows and wait until the start time. The riders stands across from their bikes, are notified of 10 seconds, and, when the horn blows, run to start and take off.

Aaaaand they’re off! (as I make sure to move out of the way because I do not want to die)

The AA class is the fastest class, followed by A, B, C, and so on, and are the first to go. Luckily enough, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, temperatures staying in the mid 70’s with slightly clouded skies, and there was no rain to create mud and standing water. Instead, there was just dry, flying dirt, which allows for a much easier time washing those bikes afterwards.

See? I wasn’t kidding about the dirt!  Caution: do not come if unwilling to get a little dirty. It really does get everywhere.

The track continues for approximately 7 miles and riders are to complete as many laps as they can within the 2 hour time frame.

Motocross track. I am exhausted just looking at those inclines- how would I get a bike up there when I cannot even push myself first?!

Supercross track- one of my only successful panoramic pictures

Shout out to our female riders! We cannot forget the ladies of FTR who prove that this crazy cool sport is for anyone who is willing to train hard. Not only do they race, but they race in style- just look at those color schemes. Inspiration for girls everywhere that yes, you can have it all and look good doing it. Whoever thinks racing is just for boys needs to shut the hell up because I have no doubt that these ladies can kick some serious ass.

Love the colors, ladies. And yes, I cheered for them like I knew them (unfortunately I do not) because they are females and badasses.

That at that majestic braid!

I had the privilege of speaking to one rider in particular, Greg Wrobel, who has been riding dirt bikes for almost 22 years. His choice of bike is a KTM with the number and class 128 A, indicating that he is a fast rider. Wrobel says he was first drawn to riding because of friendships he had with other riders.

“FTR is like a family,” he says, “I have met so many good people and talented riders who made me want to advance and get better.”

The camaraderie is a huge part of FTR for Wrobel. He says the group of riders used to be much smaller in the past and has grown immensely over the years as families grow and new riders join. Many riders, including Wrobel,  bring their families and enjoy the races together. He notes that these races are a great way to be together out of the house and exploring outdoors.

Wrobel and his daughter, Maggie, helping him get ready for the race

Family is a huge part of racing. “FTR has given our family something to do together,” Wrobel says, “there is nothing better than having that support from your family and hearing those ‘WHOO-HOO’s’ from the sidelines- they just keep you going.”

His daughter, Maggie who is 17 and in her junior year of high school, actively supports him and loves coming to races. She enjoys adventuring during the race and finding new areas to see the track and cheer on her dad.

Wrobel zipping through the motocross track.

Presumably like most other riders, Wrobel enjoys the opportunity to show off the skills he has acquired within all of his years racing. Gatorback provides optimal viewing locations to see jumps, turns, and weaving all throughout the track: perfect for families and friends to watch.

Wrobel soaring through the air after executing a jump.

Gatorback is also the perfect opportunity to show off that gator spirit. Such a tasteful paint job, don’t you think?

Now that’s riding in style.

Motorcycle races have always been a family affair in my house and I wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to wear my old 8th grade FTR shirt (little tight across the chest now- I guess my body has changed since I was 13) and to introduce my boyfriend to the world of FTR (I made sure to dig up an old FTR shirt for him). Not only is there constant racing to watch, but there are a various vendors selling a range of tasty treats to enjoy as you watch, including ice cream, smoothies, brownies, breakfast sandwiches, and cuban sandwiches.

Boyfriend’s first motorcycle race so of course we had to get ice cream (even though we all know it would have happened if it were his 90th).

At the end of the 2 hours, the riders come in at the finish line where they are celebrating and congratulating each other on another great race. Families and friends wait to cheer in their exhausted and happy riders. Little kids look for their moms or dads coming in and some even get to hop on the bike and get a ride to the car.

Indubitably, a sense of community and kinship permeates this group of people like no other. Camaraderie: as Wrobel says, “the spirit that runs through FTR is what I like the most. Nine times out of ten, if you wreck, someone will be right behind you to help out,” he says, having been on both sides of a crash before, “We all help each other- it’s part of riding.”

I was lucky enough to get a picture with the legend himself! #128 forever

Wrobel next to his KTM post race

‘Til next time, riders. Countdown to Gatorback 2017!

University of Florida: UF