The best places to cry on Emory campus

And the tears come streaming down your face…

Are you: homesick/stressed about school, work, friends, or life? Heartbroken by that stud in Bio who’s way out of your league? Hurt by your asshole friend who doesn’t appreciate you?

Do you: live too far from campus to go home when you need to? Feel uncomfortable crying in front of your roommate?

Need a place to: just get away from the world? Bawl your eyes out but not be overheard? Call your mom without judgment from random passers-by?

Never fear. No matter where you are on campus or how late it is, there are plenty of places to cry in peace, presented here and ranked by privacy, accessibility, and comfort depending on your priorities.

After Hours:

Bench behind the Math and Science Building

A secluded, peaceful bench surrounded by trees but not too far removed from civilization to warrant trepidation. The spot requires a bit of an uphill treck but is worth the exertion in privacy, as it rarely gets visitors.

Privacy: 10

Accessibility: 6

Comfort: 7

Complex roof

Pick from two decks on top floor of complex, complete with rooftop gardens and not much else. Getting into Complex requires a favor from a freshman but once you’re in, savor the refreshing views and dearth of distractions.

Privacy: 8

Accessibility: 6

Comfort: 4

Bench outside Callaway

This little bench is easy to access but cleverly hidden from the beaten path. It might not prevent loud sobs from being overheard but it’s a great spot in which to hide from people and regain composure.

Privacy: 7.5

Accessibility: 10

Comfort:8

Outside of the Carlos Museum

Although this deck (complete with tables and chairs and climbable walls, if you need that extra level of removal from the world) is pretty well-known among locals, it is rarely visited after the museum closes, and the views of the light-spotted night quad are worth the risk of intruders.

Privacy: 6

Accessibility: 9

Comfort: 9

Trees on the side of the Biomedical Research Building

Kind of a weird spot for casual hangouts, these stacked, pretty zen, gardens are the perfect spot to be alone as well as noteworthy for their location, as there are few other places nearby capable of ensuring that you won’t be accidentally stumbled upon.

Privacy: 10

Accessibility: 8

Comfort: 6

Privacy: 9

Side of the WHSCAB

Although the WHSCAB steps directly across from LSM are a popular place to relax or grab lunch, the steps on the other side are oft forgotten, therefore allowing a much higher level of privacy with the minimum geographical displacement. If you want a little more shelter, the sheds protruding from either end of the stairs provide multiple convenient overhangs under which to hide from people or weather.

Privacy: 9

Accessibility: 10

Comfort: 7

Niche in front of the WoodPEC

Also great for singing, this little hollow offers shelter from the weather and symbolic removal from the rest of campus in addition to great acoustics.

Privacy: 4

Accessibility: 10

Comfort: 6

Bench beside the Theology Library

This bench, surrounded with foliage on one side but open to the footpath on the other, provides only the semblance of privacy, but the quiet leafy backdrop has its own benefits, such as feeling like you’re in the sad song montage part of a dramatic movie.

Privacy: 3

Accessibility: 10

Comfort: 8

Roof of the WoodPEC

Since nobody has any reason to go up there, the roof of the WoodPEC guarantees a fair degree of privacy, given its open-air location just one story from the tennis courts and windows to the gym on one wall. That said, there isn’t much in the way of accommodations or seating, but this is one of the few locations that offers good shelter from the rain after hours.

Privacy: 7

Accessibility: 8

Comfort: 5

Rocks in front of the Grace Crum Rollins Building

These rocks are the perfect size to recreate the Angsty Harry scene from Prisoner of Azkaban or to hide behind for less dramatic cry sessions. Since nobody really uses the sidewalk-side entrance anyway, these rocks offer decent solitude for minimal claustrophobia.

Privacy: 6

Accessibility: 8

Comfort: 7.5

During Hours:

WoodPEC Balcony

Visited only during track meets and the occasional cross country practice, this balcony is empty most of the time except for a convenient folding chair. Show up at the right time in the afternoon to watch the amazing- and attractive- track team at work. Find it at the end of the stairs past the indoor track, or, if you’re already too distraught to pass WoodPEC staff and students, it can even be reached from the outdoor track.

Privacy: 9

Accessibility: 10

Comfort: 7

Upstairs Cannon Chapel sanctuary

If the sanctuary is empty, even downstairs will do, but the seating along the top ledge of the sanctuary offers an extra dose of privacy from any who enter, as well as a beautiful view from a window on one side.

Privacy: 9

Accessibility: 4

Comfort: 10

Cannon Chapel chapel

My personal favorite place to come for a good cry, this small chapel on the bottom floor of Cannon Chapel is not only rarely visited and equipped with padded benches, but it also has an aura of serenity, even for atheists.

Privacy: 8

Accessibility: 8

Comfort: 10

Upstairs Schwartz Center on a weekday

Unless there’s a show going on, the lavish, thickly carpeted hall above the Emerson Concert Hall is deserted. Take your pick of benches by walls or windows and if you need a distraction, take in the fine art hung all around the hall.

Privacy: 8

Accessibility: 7

Comfort: 9

Breakout rooms in bottom floor of B-school

If you’re by the B-school and you need to break down, the breakout rooms on the bottom floor are the perfect place to go. Claim a room for yourself and you’re guaranteed nobody will walk in on you. Also, if you need some sugar after you’ve calmed down, Highland Bakery is right upstairs.

Privacy: 10

Accessibility: 9

Comfort: 10

Staircase by the indoor track

This staircase is the perfect place to let it all out without fear of being disturbed, because it is removed from the most popular areas of the gym and can be accessed best by passing through the machines reserved for the trainers—so nobody bothers to go over there.

Privacy: 10

Accessibility: 6

Comfort: 7

CAPS

If you’re using this list for more than the occasional, extreme-scenario cry session, Emory’s counseling and psychological services might be the best place to go. Counseling is free for students and supplements your very own crying room with trained professionals to help you work out your problems. Privacy is not guaranteed in the waiting area but it’s a risk I’m willing to take for the chance to see Beowulf, the therapy dog. Call 404-727-7450 to ask questions or set up an appointment.

Privacy: 7

Accessibility: 10

Comfort: 10

Emory