Everyone should try to beat the Freshman 15 with Kayla Itsines’ workout

Becoming strong is easier than you think.

It is very normal to be overwhelmed by college and to forget about working out. All the delicious desserts at the DUC, the unlimited meal swipes and the late night Zaya’s run add to the unhealthy diets of freshman. Hence, it is not surprising to see yourself gaining the freshman 15.

After gaining the freshman 15, I promised myself to live a healthy lifestyle. I decided to follow Kayla Itsines’ twelve week bikini body program. I purchased the guides and began to workout everyday religiously. Her workout consists of two sets of exercises that must be done repetitively for seven minutes four times. Although it sounds confusing, her day by day schedule simplifies the workout regime.

Her 28-minute intense workout regime not only aims to make you skinny, but seeks to strengthen you. Kayla Itsines began the #Kaylamovement to empower women. She opposed body shaming and encouraged women to be fit and healthy rather than skinny and weak. She also offers a diet plan for two weeks, which includes substitutes for vegetarians and vegans too.

I personally followed Kayla’s routine for almost 20 weeks! I began following her workout regime in August, 2015. Initially, I found the workout extremely hard and could not go seven minutes without a break. I could barely do two-three repetitions within seven minutes. However, after having followed her workout for 15 weeks, I can complete four repetitions in seven minutes and I only take a break after the seven minutes. There are weeks in between where I skip the workout due to too much schoolwork or extracurricular activities but I make it my priority on other day.I was looking to gain some muscle strength and I can now successfully put my cabin bag in the cabin of the aircraft without asking my neighbors for help! I have not lost weight, but I have definitely converted my fat into muscle. I still follow this workout. I have seen results in me and several other people I know. However, I am thinking of taking a break and trying a different workout for a while because I don’t want my body to get used to this workout and not respond positively to it.

Some other people who follow Kayla’s workout share their experiences here!

Sonum Tharwani, Sophomore, Neuroscience 

Why did you start Kayla’s workout?

I started Kayla’s workout for three main reasons. First off, I wasn’t looking for a weight loss program, but rather a workout routine that would help me get stronger. Secondly, Kayla’s workout schedule is easy to manage with school since it is only 35-40 minutes a day. Lastly, I wanted to continue to challenge myself physically and find a routine that was sustainable.

When did you start Kayla’s workout?

I started Kayla’s workout last June.

Did you find it hard?

I definitely found it to be very difficult in the beginning because it works parts of your body that I have never worked before.

When did you usually workout?

Over the summer, I worked out in the mornings, but now I work out usually late afternoon or really late at night. Hence, I have tried working out at all times of the day.

Was the workout effective?

The workout was really effective and I felt myself getting much stronger and I lost a lot of weight over the summer.

Do you still do it? Why or why not?

Unfortunately, I stopped doing it towards the end of last semester because of stress. However, I have started back up again and look forward to continuing the routine!

Zoe Beutel, Freshman, Pre-Business

Why did you start Kayla’s workout?

I started it because I was afraid of the freshman 15.

When did you start Kayla’s workout?

I started it in September, 2015.

Did you find it hard?

It was really hard but helped me get into a routine.

When did you usually workout?

I usually did the resistance training workout on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays after class around 5:00 pm

Was the workout effective?

I think it was effective but made my legs too big and that was not something I was looking for.

Do you still do it? Why or why not?

I don’t do it as tightly on a schedule but I do about one or two a week now because it helps me stay in shape!

Kayla Itsines started this workout because she had anorexia nervosa and she wanted to become fit. We must take inspiration from her and our friends to workout regularly and avoid the freshman 15.

Emory