Paris is the best hometown in the world

Is there anywhere cooler?

You walk in the streets and you see a businessman running to catch the bus or the metro, a dad screaming at his kids to get to school on time, someone speeding on a bike and a driver honking and shouting at the car ahead of him.

And that’s just a glimpse of an 8 am in the middle of Paris.

Everyone’s always surprised by American I seem, but no matter what my heart is and always will be for Paris.

It’s multi-cultural and full of history

I’ve only been on top of the Eiffel Tower twice and to the Louvres once.

Paris has it’s own fascinating history, but there’s no other place like it to learn all about European history. 

There’s so much to see for all of these tourists that come from around the world.  Go out and learn a few words of French so you can fully integrate yourself on your visit!

Every building, every street and every “arrondissement” is a story

The metro is amazingly efficient – it gets you everywhere and anywhere fast.

In general, no one uses cars. Take the metro or the “vélib’s” because taking a bike and going along the Seine is more than amazing.

All the iconic monuments like Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower are along it. Even as a Parisian, there’s no better way to spend a Sunday.

The Champs Elysées is right there too, and you should never miss an opportunity to go through it.

The lights do make everything – it’s called the city of lights for a reason. 

Don’t be afraid to seat on a random bench, share macarons and admire the view.

The nightlife is unlike anywhere else

And then here comes the fun part: Saturday nights. We have bars, we have nightclubs, we have parties at our apartments and Paris specific events called “Rallyes”. They used to be just for the upper class. Parents who had kids in high school would put them in these groups so they could learn how to behave at formal parties.

Today, it is just a party every month with a group of 350 people. We dress formally, but we go to nightclubs and meet kids from all over Paris.

We also have casual parties at people’s apartment or out in bars or even along the Seine.

Champagne is always the answer

There are always things to celebrate, no matter what.

During our famous “apéritifs” (small meal before dinner) on Saturdays, you can be sure that there’s always champagne or wine on the table.

There are so many enormous event venues

And  of course I can’t forget the awesome concert halls – what would we do without them?

I am very lucky to have seen so many concerts in historic halls, or surrounded by 80 000 people at the “Stade de France”.

It’s easy to keep up with sports

Paris wouldn’t be Paris without the soccer team “PSG” – almost every guy who is European has a passion for soccer and can tell you by heart all of the important soccer players. My dad has 4 daughters so he still raised us watching soccer. We started going to games starting at a very young age.

Every time Paris is playing it will be on TV.  Alternatively, someone watching it on their phone will scream the scores for everyone to know. Soccer is more than a sport, it’s a passion all over Europe.

The food and scenery are unbeatable

Our way of life is what defines us best. Every day, I walked to school through the Jardin du Luxembourg (home to the senate) and was always amazed by what I saw no matter the rain, the cold, the snow or the sun.

I had 1 hour and 30 minutes to eat lunch so we used to go to cafés or to the Jardin du Luxembourg and then we went back until 6 pm.

Extra curriculars in Paris only really exist over the weekends – or for the very motivated ones from 8 to 11 pm during the week.

Coming back from school my 10 year old sister would get a snack from 1 of the 5 “boulangeries” around our apartment and our baby sitter would buy 2 “traditions” – because they’re way better than “Baguettes”. 

Family is important, no matter what day it is

I eat dinner with my 3 younger sisters and my parents every evening.

We used to have family lunches that lasted 4 hours – with the most awesome deserts – but there was also a plentiful amount of family time during the week. 

Parisian fashion is famous

Shopping in Paris is our favorite thing to do.

French people don’t know what a backpack, leggings and sweatshirts are! 

For all of these reasons, this city belongs to those who are curious, in love, open minded, proud of their origins and faith but ready to put them aside compare to what we have in common.

This city celebrates light, opinions, discussion, tolerance, joie de vivre, wine , champagne …and above everything the freedom to do whatever makes you a human being.

That’s why when we feel attacked – like on January 7th, 2015 and November 13th, 2015 – we all come together without a single second of fear.

Yes, I am proud to say that I am Parisian and that I am the one who took this picture among the 2 million people walking in the streets that day.

So go out there: dance, talk, laugh, love, question, agree, disagree the Parisian way…go away, come back.

You can do that and keep doing it in Paris.

Emory national-us