In defense of being a serial napper

If I could sleep all the time, I would

College is stressful as it is with clubs, sports, school work, midterms, grades.. the list is never ending, why not do something for your own benefit or liking for once? I am a habitual nap-taker.

I take one almost every day and have for years. I used to feel a little guilty about it – like I was slacking off or something, but overtime, I started realizing it’s for the best.

Makes you happier and a lot less sassier

I, personally, have great experiences with this one. My friends know me for my sass, and the days I nap, I am a lot less sassy. An efficient  nap can do wonders. You’ll wake up with a smile ready to tackle the rest of the day.

Studies have shown that even the shortest naps have been known to refresh someone’s day. And, come on, who doesn’t need that in this fast paced college life.

You will just feel a lot better and a lot more fresh – as if you just woke up from a deep night sleep.

Professional napper’s big smiles

Better performance

Ever pulled an all nighter one or two days in a row to study for midterms? Did you get the score you wanted?

I’m willing to bet you didn’t do as great as you’d hoped. Why not throw a nap in there during the day to get you up on your feet again?

A nap will rest your brain for a little bit, and when you wake up, you will get your brain fired up again. This will lead to better grades and just better performance in whatever activity you sought out to do.

A 2002 Harvard University study demonstrated a thirty-minute nap boosted the performance of workers, returning their productivity to beginning-of-the-day levels.

Photo Credits: Anushka Pathak

A nap reduces the risk of heart disease

YES! You got that right. According to the Archives of Internal Medicine, people who take a midday siesta at least thrice a week are 37 percent less likely to die from heart disease!

Working men are 64 percent less likely! Wow! If that is not an incentive to nap, I don’t know what is. Living life to the fullest and yolo won’t be possible without napping. If you want to live and enjoy, nap!

It will stop you burning out 

In our always-on culture, we go, go, go. However, we were not meant to race without rest.

Doing so leads to stress, frustration, and burnout.  Napping relieves stress and gives you a fresh start. Just 30 minutes of it will keep you from flying off the walls or pulling out your hair. Your brain is already fried from Financial Accounting or German or Chinese, so take a little nap to let it build itself up again. Humans aren’t like robots.

We have to remember that we’re going down tothe to wire down sometimes. Taking a nap is like a system reboot!

All the cool places you haven’t checked out yet

This campus is fairly big, and there’s no way you have seen all the cool secluded places. These secluded places will come in handy when you want to go take a break from your boring room.

Life is all about adventure and doing things impromptu in the weirdest locations. Napping will be an excuse to go check out some of these top secret locations with a view, whether it’s the 10th floor of the library, or the 4th floor of the new PAIS building – you will find sofas for your use.

And, you know what they should be used for… napping, duh.

View from the MARBL floor of Woodruff Library

All the new friends you get to make

I know this doesn’t sound like a legitimate reason, but have you ever brought up napping to a stranger?

When breaking the ice, we often talk about the boring things, such as your favorite color or your favorite sports team and blah blah blah. Next time, ask someone about their napping habits. I guarantee you will be immediate best friends based on the fact that they nap too.

You will earn some mad respect, and your personality will be viewed differently. They will appreciate your confession. And, BAM…BFFs.

My napper friend and I

If a man’s best friend is napping, why aren’t you?

Most other mammals beside humans are known for their napping capabilities. Dogs nap literally anytime and anywhere and we should really follow suit.

If you’re best friends with somebody, you tend to replicate what they do – and dogs are a man’s best friend.

I’m pretty sure they’ll love you even more for it.

Photo Credits: Lauren Azmon

You don’t have to deal with annoying human beings

Admit it, we all know that person that literally never shuts up. Well, here is your solution to get away from them. When you take a nap, you get to enter a world that is entirely yours. You get to sleep away from these humans.

Next time a talkative person comes up to you, tell them its time for your beauty nap. They’re bound to leave you alone – go grab a pillow.

You need to practice for the bi-annual Siesta Championship

And, yes, you did hear that correctly. If you practice hard enough, you will be promoted to the title of a professional napper.

You might be lucky enough to participate in the Madrid Siesta Championship that happens every couple of years.

AKA you can win money for napping.

MONEY. FOR. NAPPING. IT’S NOT A TRICK, I REPEAT, IT’S NOT A TRICK.

Emory national-us