Why doesn’t Emory have any school spirit?

We asked the students of Emory what they think

Despite Dooley and Swoop’s notable efforts, the general consensus among Emory’s students is that the college lacks school spirit.

Over the weekend, I bumped into students, around campus, and asked them why they think Emory doesn’t have school spirit. Here’s how they responded:

Maya Bornstein, 19, Freshman, Sociology

“I don’t think Emory has sporty school spirit, but it has other forms of school spirit, like Dooley for instance, and every student kind of reps ‘Emory’.”

Joel Ramirez, 18, Freshman

“No football team.”

Shefali Bhandari, 19, Sophomore, Business

“We don’t have much school spirit, but we definitely do when we think it’s going to snow and classes get cancelled.”

Sakshi Mehta, 20, Sophomore, Biology

“Because we don’t have a football team.”

Brian Savino, 18, Freshman, Chemistry and Arabic

“I think we compare Emory’s spirit to state schools a lot of the time. Compared to them we don’t have much, but in terms of the fact that we don’t have a lot of sports teams our school spirits pretty good.

“We do have Dooley, and I think we should give Swoop a little bit more love sometimes.”

Sindoos Awel, 18, Freshman, Human Health

“Because whenever there’s a game no one shows up and people might wear Emory clothing and what not, but I don’t think that really shows school spirit.

“School spirit should be prevalent during homecoming week and I remember that homecoming week wasn’t a big event here.”

Aaina Pahwa, 18, Freshman, Economics and Pre-Business

“I think Emory has school spirit, but not as much when it comes to sport because you don’t see as many people supporting the women’s softball and basketball games that go on every few weeks at Emory.”

Maya Coe, 19, Freshman, Economics and Human Health

“I think Emory has school spirit, even though we don’t have a football team we embrace school spirit in different ways.

“We have our wonderful Wednesdays, we sport the Emory attire. If we did have a football team that sport would absorb all this school spirit. It’s a nice advantage for people to be able to spread out their interests.”

Farah Al Chammas, 18, Freshman

“What are you saying! Emory has school spirit. Have you been to song-fest and wonderful Wednesdays?

“I think it depends on where you choose to get involved and where you see school spirit.”

Emory