Vincent Price named new president of Duke

Making him the 10th President

Duke has named Vincent Price, current provost of the University of Pennsylvania, the tenth president of the university.

The presidential search committee, led by trustee Jack Bovender and vice chair Ellen Davis, gathered members of the Duke community and launched the search in April.

According to David Rubenstein, chair of The Board of Trustees, the committee searched to find a leader that would “continue Duke’s momentum: intelligence, integrity, passion and the ability to elevate and realize the aspirations of a diverse university.”

Price, in addition to having been Penn’s provost for 7 years, has academic background in communications and political science which Rubenstein believes will ensure “strong, effective and enlightened leadership”.

His devotion to academics is also demonstrated by his career as the Steven H. Chaffee Professor of Communication in the Annenberg School for Communication and the professor of political science in the School of Arts and Sciences.

Friday morning, The Board of Trustees at the university approved the recommendation of the search committee for Price. Brodhead, after demonstrating 13 years of exemplary leadership at Duke, plans to step down and pass on the baton on July 1st 2017.

He has a deep understanding of the student experience and the importance of diversity, inclusion, and open inquiry,” Rubenstein said.

“His experience in building a global program gives him the perspective to lead the already rich array of international activities at Duke. And he has a great sensitivity to the special obligation that a university and academic medical center have in a community.”

Duke University