Blue Devil Diaries: Home Sweet Dur-home

The trends that drive campus culture

Whether it’s downtown, right off campus, or on campus, everyone has to find somewhere to live while attending Duke. Though Duke will provide housing every year, not everyone chooses to live on campus. Why wouldn’t someone want to? Why would they?

This week on Blue Devil Diaries, we explore why.

Meghan, Graduate Student

Where do you live?

I live downtown at 605 West.

What were the factors that determine where you wanted to live?

I wanted a new, modern building with lots of amenities. 605 West also includes cable and internet with my rent, which was a huge plus.

Are you messy or neat?

Definitely messy (although I’m trying to change!)

What was the most important feature you were looking for (campus convenience? A large living room? A kitchen? Etc.)

I work out pretty late at night, so I need a building with a decent gym.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

I studied abroad in Vienna, and would love to move back. It’s beautiful, super clean, and has surprisingly good food!

Bre, Senior

Where do you live?

I live at the Heights on LaSalle

The two most important things for me was location and the apartments being something that I could make into a home. The heights also has really great services and are all really nice apartments.

Are you messy or neat?

I have my moments. I think I am both messy and clean. I’m very weird about the kitchen and bathroom areas being clean but there are always clothes all over my room.

The most important feature I was looking for was a nice kitchen. I love cooking and love having a nice space to do it.

I would love to live in Honolulu. It’s such an interesting city with so many different cultures and the beaches are beautiful!

Anica, Sophomore

Where do you live?

I live in DG section on central

I wanted a living space larger than the jail cell that is Blackwell dorm rooms

Are you messy or neat?

I am obsessively clean.

Although I had to give up having my own room to have a larger living room, I like it a lot better because that it’s just a chiller environment to study/hang out in. My roommate and I are super close anyways so I don’t mind sharing the bedroom. I also love having a kitchen and don’t know what I’m going to do without it next year!

I would move back to San Francisco! I want to spend a year or two living in New Orleans and in lots of cities around the world, but I’d feel weird if I never went back home

Tyler, Senior

Where do you live?

I live in Erwin Mill

I was looking for high value – the price that best matched the features that I was looking for.

Are you messy or neat?

I’m incredibly messy. I always tell myself I’m going to clean my room and never do, but I like to think of my room as ‘organized chaos.’

I wanted a large living space, convenience to Ninth Street and East Campus, and proximity to other close friends outside of my fraternity and friend group. I’ve absolutely gotten all of that this year.

If I could live anywhere in the world, I would live on a remote tropical island in a huge house (which I would design). Would be great to just always relax and drink and take in the sun. If anyone can make that possible, let’s talk.

Jared, Junior

Where do you live?

I basically live at the heights with my girlfriend.

The fact that my girlfriend’s here. And there’s a nice pool and nice amenities. Mostly my girlfriend

Are you messy or neat?

I am very orderly. I like keeping the floors clear, making my bed in the morning and the kitchen area clean. Otherwise, the clutter kind of irritates me.

Location is very important for me. I have a moped rather than a car; so, being less than a mile from campus makes getting to class much easier.

I would live somewhere in the Caribbean. Because it’s beautiful there and the lifestyle is much more “No hurries no worries.”

Rosie, Senior

Where do you live?

605 west apartments

Friends, safety, positive energy, distance from school

Are you messy or neat?

In between, never completely one or the other

At the time I was looking for a place that was close to campus and had similar amenities to other locations in the price bracket. I also wanted to be around friends, which was important for me for support.

If I could live anywhere it would be somewhere bustling with culture and history, perhaps a town along the Mediterranean Sea. I think being around water subconsciously relaxes the mind and as a student studying the Middle East, the Mediterranean has been a site of creation, destruction and change; probably the best metaphors for life. This answer will probably change over time for me, as my life changes, different places and things inspire me

Mccall, Junior

Where do you live?

I live in Craven A

Returning from campus post-abroad I wanted the easiest and most hassle-free move-in experience. The best option, therefore, was throwing it back to my freshman days and opting for a much smaller space in the form of a dorm room. I was able to get all of my boxes out of storage, unload my crap, and set up my room for the semester within the span of a day. Considering how little time I actually spend in my room, it really didn’t seem worth it to push for an apartment at this point. And, now that the walkway to the BC is open, everything just got 100 times more convenient.

Are you messy or neat?

I’m HELLA neat. Like anal about it.

It sounds cliche, but the convenience of being within a 10 minute walking distance from my morning classes, being even closer to campus’s main food sources, and sleeping in just a bit longer are well worth the cramped space and shower shoes.

Chuck E Cheese. Who doesn’t have the best memories from those ball pits? But if that doesn’t work out, President Brodhead’s house looks pretty nice. If you’re subleasing, Mr. President, DM a girl.

Aidan, Senior

Where do you live?

I live in a house a few blocks off of east campus.

I knew I wanted to move off campus for my senior year with a few of my friends. Living in a house was cheaper than most of the apartment complexes around campus, and I thought it’d be fun to live with a larger group of guys, so a house made sense.

Are you messy or neat?

I like to think I’m relatively neat, but I know there’s times when I’m feeling too lazy to get to all of the cleaning that I should.

I wanted a space to live that’d be more private than dorm life but still a walkable distance to campus since I didn’t have a car that I could use to commute.

I’d live in Dublin. I spent a summer there and really loved it.

Eliza, Senior

Where do you live?

605 west

A location near downtown Durham but that also didn’t contribute to further gentrification

Are you messy or neat?

Depends on my world load?

A positive living environment

New Zealand, that’s where my family is from!

Melissa, Junior

Where do you live?

Central campus

I wanted to live in my SLG section and really liked the idea of having a kitchen of my own

Are you messy or neat?

I am pretty mess in my own room, but I keep the common room neat.  I view that part as my responsibility to my roommate

I was most looking for convenience and community

I would live in Mallorca, Espana.  It’s one of the only places I know that stress can’t find me and it’s one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Duke University