Country songs you should listen to even if you don’t like country

Trust me, I’m an expert

I have compiled a list of the 20 country songs you should listen to even if you don’t like the genre. Some things can only be said with a little twang and Southern charm.

Trust me, I’m an expert.

I Feel Good – Thomas Rhett (ft. Lunchmoney Lewis)

Why: This is an upbeat, fun tune perfect for the summer or when you just want to put a smile on your face.

Nowhere Fast – Old Dominion

Why: Musically, this song is beautiful. In addition, it has a wonderful message: slow down and enjoy the moment.

These Days – Rascal Flatts

Why: This is an absolute classic. One of the best works of songwriting in country music by one of the best bands!

You Should Be Here – Cole Swindell

Why: This is Cole Swindell’s new single. Its emotional energy is so important in showing what country music is about. (The song’s about his father, who passed away before he got his big break).

Are You With Me – Easton Corbin

Why: This is not only groovy, but is the original version of a remix on pop radio by Lost Frequencies. It’s beautiful in this slowed-down version because you can really hear the emotion.

What Are You Listening To – Chris Stapleton

Why: This song does not need an introduction. A Grammy-winning songwriter with a genuine country voice; hold on and really listen to this one.

Withdrawals – Tyler Farr

Why: This song was released as Tyler Farr’s single but did not fare well on country radio most likely due to it’s rock core. A great hit for those who like rock but aren’t sure about country.

Beautiful Drug – Zac Brown Band

Why: This is such a fun song by such a talented band—I dare you to try not to turn this up when you’re driving in your car. Plus it’s a really good example of the current trend in pop-country.

Nothin’ Like You – Dan & Shay

Why: This is a fun song that will surely make you smile.

Peter Pan – Kelsea Ballerini

Why: An Up-And-Coming songwriter and performer, this metaphor is almost laughably accurate in a lot of cases. Also, if you like Nick Jonas, Kelsea is doing a cross-over duet with him April 3th on the ACM awards to this song!

I Almost Do – Taylor Swift

Why: One of Taylor Swift best songs, but also very underappreciated due to the pop nature of her transitory album RED.

Live Like You Were Dying – Tim McGraw

Why: This is one of the classics of country, just like “These Days.” Will not deny that it is very country sounding but give it a listen and remember to always live like you’re dying.

You’re Gonna Miss This – Trace Adkins

Why: Scarily accurate in the time of our lives we are in right now. It’s a sweet song reminding you to hold on to what you have and to appreciate it deeply.

Beat of the Music – Brett Eldredge

Why: This is Brett Eldredge’s first hit, and he’s amazing. Also, it’s light-hearted and fun and if you listen to this playlist in order, you need that about now. <3

All Too Well – Taylor Swift

Why: I think this is the best song Taylor Swift had written up to the point her RED album was released. Listen and see if you love the subtlety and the metaphor as much as I do.

You Don’t Know Her Like I Do – Brantley Gilbert

Why: This is Brantley Gilbert’s first hit, and rightfully so as it remains one of the most popular and well-written country songs of this decade.

See You Again – Carrie Underwood

Why: Carrie Underwood is a legend.

Life As We Know It – Lady Antebellum

Why: The most eloquently put way to say: “Life sucks sometimes, but you will be OK.”

Stay – Sugarland

Why: Two words: Jennifer Nettles. If you can listen to this and not cry you are either not human or not listening well enough.

Done – The Band Perry

Why: This is a great song to play in your car and was a huge hit a couple summers back.

Duke University