Blue Devil Diaries: Work It

The trends that drive campus culture

Ever wonder what the newest trends are on campus?

No, not what everyone is wearing to Shooters, or who has the best “groutfit” look during midterms season, but the different things that drive campus culture that makes the Duke experience so unique.

Well, that’s what I’m looking to find out.

This week, I am starting with health and fitness on campus. These Blue Devils were nice enough to share their thoughts and pictures with us when I publicly released the survey. I look forward to continuing to figure out how best to represent as much of the Duke population as I can.

Without further ado, here are the questions:

Jordan, Junior

What is your favorite type of workout and why?

By far my favorite type of workout is something that’s simple and repetitive where I can be left alone with my thoughts. This predilection leaves me jogging or shooting hoops, where as in high school I opted for the batting cages.

Where do you like to workout (West Campus gym, apartment complex, other off campus venue etc.)?

I’m a junior and it’s still Brodie Gym. It’s just more laid back there.

Do you feel like the ambiance of any of the places you consider working out contributes to your workout habits? How so?

My mood of the day impacts my workout much more than the ambiance of the spot I choose to pretend to be athletic in again.

Do you feel like there is high pressure to workout on campus? What factors do you think drive that?

In my perspective, there’s a pressure to workout but it’s more subdued than the academic and social pressures you can find around campus. As for what drives it, Duke carries a connotation of having the ideal well-rounded student who gets good grades, is seen out partying with the “it” crowd, and stays in shape – so I’d say the pressure on fitness stems from that.

Do you feel like there are different pressures for men and women?

I’m positive men and women face varying pressures at Duke. This could be someone’s senior thesis so I’ll stop at that.

All Duke students are busy, why do you make time to workout? What role does it serve in your life?

I make time to workout primarily for the mental side. I already have a quick metabolism and my mom says I need to put on more weight not lose it. My workout is more to balance my thoughts and clear my head just for when I have one of those days.

Dani, Senior

My favorite type of workout is hot yoga because I love the mindfulness of yoga and I love to sweat. I also find yoga really challenging because I am not flexible at all, and it helps me with strength and flexibility in ways I don’t usually work on.

I like to workout outside the best.

When I workout in Wilson I tend to be more competitive. Even if I’m just on the stair master, I still like to push myself to go the longest and at the highest level. When I run outside, I tend to zone into my music or a podcast, and it is a much more peaceful workout, which is why I really like exercising.

I think there is definitely pressure to workout on campus. Most Duke students are in good shape and I think it’s the competitive nature of the university that drives the pressure to exercise. I also think that because of that, people don’t exercise because it is a good study break or because it is a stress relief but rather out of a sense of obligation or competition, which is the wrong reason to exercise.

I think there is pressure for both men and women, but the pressures are different. Guys all want to get “swole” and lift and girls exercise more so as weight control, but both sexes I think feel pressure.

I make time to workout because it makes me feel healthy, relieves stress, it’s a good break. I love to sweat, and I love to challenge myself physically. I also like to train for different events, like tough mudders or a marathon.

Alex, Junior

My favorite type of workout includes both cardio (either a brief run or some games of basketball) and a lift of some sort, which must always include some core work.

I almost always workout at Wilson gym, mostly because the facility is so nice and it’s conveniently close to my dorm on west.

The ambiance of the gym is a huge factor that determines how I workout. Often when the gym is packed, my workouts are quicker, yet more intense. The element of being watched (for better or worse) adds a bit of adrenaline to my workouts, but I also start to get minimally annoyed if ever I have to wait for equipment. On the other hand, if the gym isn’t packed, I tend to take my time and get a more thorough lift in, but find it harder to push myself to go the extra few reps or keep my form in check.

In general I would say there’s not high pressure to work out on campus, but I bet it depends on your social groups. I’m sure student athletes feel a ton of pressure to work out, whereas, BME and pre-med students likely don’t daydream about the #gainz awaiting them at Wilson.

As a guy, I would say there isn’t a ton of pressure to work out on campus, but again that could be a product of my social circles. As for women on campus, there does seem to be more pressure to get to the gym for spin class, Pilates, yoga, pure barre, or some combination thereof. The large majority of my female friends do work out in some capacity or wish they had more time to. I suppose we’d like to imagine that the explanation for that is due to the well-rounded and over-achieving nature of Duke students. But I doubt we could rule out the pressure women feel to be and/or look fit, especially as spring approaches.

My personal reasons for working out tend to vary. Most days that I find the time for them, my workouts are a great avenue for me to escape the academic and mental rigor of my days in exchange for losing myself in some music and a lift or a nice run, for example. Other days, I go to the gym to maintain a certain level of self-esteem. Even though I enjoy working out, it’s equally and sometimes more rewarding just to think positively about my self-image which is (at least in part) a product of time spent in the gym. Being healthy and appearing healthy are two of my priorities that going to the gym satisfies in multiple ways.

Paul, Sophomore

They push you past your limits and force you to give everything, both mentally and physically.

Exclusively Wilson. Brodie’s too small and doesn’t have enough equipment. I’ve actually never been to the Central campus gym for similar reasons.

I think it’s more of the people you meet. At Wilson, I recognize faces and they remind me to stay consistent with my habits because I realize there are so many other people trying to improve their lives as well.

Not only that, but I think that Duke being an elite institution pressures students to perform well in classes, maintain an active social life, and look good on a regular basis.

From a bodybuilding perspective, there is definitely an idealized body for both men and women that people try to strive for, causing both sexes to equally feel pressure. However for Duke students, I feel as though women feel more pressure to maintain a fit body. Blame the “dad bod” trend maybe.

I first started regularly working out to save myself from depression. After days where I gave 100% of what I had, it felt like a huge weight just lifted off of my shoulders. With all of the bullshit in the world, to me, the gym is the only place where the more work you put in, the more you dedicate your soul and heart, the more you’ll get out of it. I push myself every day so I can be a better person in and out of the gym.

Alex, Senior

My favorite workout is running because it makes me feel accomplished to see how far I’ve gone.

West campus gym (track above the basketball courts) and my absolute favorite place to workout is Mile High Run Club in New York.

I like working out in Wilson because it’s a social place. I can see people and get a workout in at the same time

I feel like everyone at Duke is working out, so it’s a part of life here. Just like you go to the library, or socialize, you work out; it’s just a natural part of being at Duke.

Working out for men and women accomplish very different goals. Guys want to bulk up and women generally want the opposite. I have guy friends that literally won’t do cardio because it “makes them weak.” Whereas, women don’t lift because they don’t want to get too bulky. It’s the exact opposite.

I barely have time to workout so I tend to go to the gym as a treat after taking a test or turning in a big paper. I should make more time for exercise because it makes me feel so much better. I wish I had more time to devote to working out. It’s a big source of happiness for me though and if I go too long without going to the gym, I start to feel cranky.

Kelly, Senior

My favorite type of workout is normally intervals on the elliptical followed by a core circuit. When I’m not working out in a gym, you can find me on turf or grass kicking the soccer ball around.

I like to workout in Brodie Gym on East Campus or on the soccer fields on West campus.

I definitely think it plays a part in my workout habits. I think one of the biggest reasons I like working out in Brodie is because there are windows and I don’t feel totally trapped inside. Additionally, I like to go to the gym during the day when it is not as crowded – I feel like I can get into a routine and do my thing without any distractions.

I think there is definitely some pressure on campus to workout. I think this comes from wanting to look good and feel good.

I don’t think there are necessarily different pressures for working out in general. I just think there is a difference in the types of workouts. I would say there is pressure for guys to lift more than girls.

I make time to workout because I like to stay in shape, mainly. Staying active and leading a healthy lifestyle makes me feel better about myself. I also think working out is a great way to kind of escape the craziness of the day and to kind of be in your own little world for a little bit.

Katie, Graduate student

My favorite thing to do when I’m back in NY is play tennis and spin, along with basically any boutique workout I can sign up for. I’ve tried a bunch of classes at Duke, gone to Flywheel in Raleigh and even have a personal trainer at a local gym in Durham, but I’ve taken up running again recently. I do interval runs with weights mixed in. I like it because all you need is a pair of sneakers and you’re good to go. I also use the TV’s on the treadmill to catch up on the election!

Apartment complex gym, Brodie and Empower Personalized Fitness (where my trainer is).

I think group fitness classes are good motivators – seeing other people around you working hard is a good way to make yourself work hard even when you’re really exhausted. It’s also nice being told what to do by an instructor – there is less thinking about what to do and more doing. At the same time, I love an empty gym (like at my apartment complex in the middle of the day). Its nice to be able to take your time in doing a workout without being pressured to rush off the machines because someone is waiting.

Honestly, everyone on this campus looks like an athlete. So yes, I think there is pressure to work out simply because it would appear that everybody else does. I don’t think its a bad thing either- being inspired to workout because everyone around you is very fit is a positive thing. Also, I think the fact that Wilson is such a nice facility draws people to it. The inconvenient parking situation there (this might just be for me because I don’t have a parking pass on campus) usually deters me from going to Wilson because the walk there is a workout in itself.

For sure. I think men are expected to work out in order to get big and muscle-y, but women are expected to be skinny. I’ve found many men that don’t find muscles on girls attractive, but I think those are some of the most beautiful women because they are so strong. Even so, I still see the tendency for girls to strive for thin rather than lean.

It just makes me feel better about myself. I’m a genuinely sloth-like, lazy person. So when I actually bring myself to work out, I go as hard as possible. It makes me feel energized physically and mentally (and also makes me sleep better at night)! Its also something great to do when you don’t have a ton of time between classes – instead of wasting an hour, fitting a quick workout in is so much more rewarding.

Dana, Senior

Stair master and Pilates. Stair master because I can work up a sweat quicker than I can doing any other work out so I feel good after getting off no matter how long I was on it. I also like Pilates because I like feeling toned and sore without feeling bulky as oppose to lifting in the gym.

Wilson

When Wilson is crowded I feel as if I am push myself harder. Conversely, however, when the heights gym is crowded I am less motivated because of how small and close cornered the space is.

Yes, the majority of campus appears to be fit and virtually obsessed with a healthy/fit persona, especially those in Greek life.

I think boys feel pressure to look toned but less so than girls feel to look skinny or fit. I think boys have a easier time making jokes about the way they look and are able to separate the way they look from other facets of their daily life (going out, rushing, etc.). Girls, on the other hand, allow pressures to look good determine how often they go out, where they go, etc.

I think working out contributes to students’ busy schedules. Most of us are in a strict routine and fit working out in consistently as we would a class or group meeting. I also think working out gives us the ability to have a break from our constantly running brains. It also helps us to feel more awake and refreshed/ready to get through our busy days.

Gayle, Senior

I honestly don’t have one favorite type of workout. I love a lot of different things and change it up as much as I can. I like to spin, walk, go to pilates, dance, and run. Running is my go to though. Running really allows me to clear my head and think through anything that is bothering me at that particular moment. I run a lot!

I pretty much always run on the treadmill in Wilson, but sometimes I run at my apartment complex or outside on the East loop or the Washington Duke trail.

Yeah, I definitely prefer to run when there is not a ton of people around me. I like being by myself when I run because it really allows me to get into my head. However, on days I am feeling lazy I prefer to go to a group exercise class but the energy of the instructor and the other students helps to motivate me. When other people are around me when I am working out, I definitely push myself harder.

Yeah I think so. I know most of my friends feel pressure to stay in shape and be healthy. I believe the effortless perfection thing spills over to working out as well. People think that being really active is another part of the perfection formula that they have to try and achieve.

All of my girl friends go to the gym regularly, however, very few of my guy friends do. I feel like guys get to college and just have this unsaid permission to drink tons of beers and eat tons of pizza and get dad bods and for girls it’s not like that at all.

I make time to work out every single day. Working out is the ONE time of the day at Duke where I feel like I can focus entirely on me. It is the time during the day that I take to check in with myself, evaluate how I am feeling, what I need, and what I want. Working out is the time where I feel most relaxed, happy, and in touch with myself. I need it to relieve the stress!

Jake, Sophomore

Deadlift

Wilson

No, Wilson is full of weak and small people.

No pressure. We need more body builders.

Women, yes. Dad bods are trendy but suck.

Being huge is sweet.

Thank you to everyone who participated and took the survey even if they were not comfortable sharing their personal information for me to post.

Until next time,

Ashley

Duke University