Duke students wear black in solidarity with #ConcernedStudent1950

‘Black is beautiful and I’m beautiful and you’re beautiful’

Black lives at predominantly white institutions are hurting and students nationwide are sick of it.

Boiling racial tensions and threats of violence at the University of Missouri have encouraged thousands of students all over the country to wear all black today in solidarity with the Black students at Mizzou in the wake of their President’s resignation.

The Facebook event that mobilized the campuses, cited incidents at Yale University, Smith College, Bowdoin College, Ithaca College, Brown University, Columbia University, and of course Dear Old Duke where racial and homophobic slurs are becoming more common.

The Tab spoke to some of the students who decided to wear all black today. Here is what they had to say.

Brenda Onyango

“I’m wearing black to stand in solidarity with the students at Mizzou and for my blackness here at this university that continues to deny institutional problems and offer sustainable policy lead solutions and because black is beautiful and I’m beautiful and you’re beautiful.”

Edgeri Hudlin

“I’m here because racism is here, and I’m not leaving.”

Serges Himbaza

“I’m wearing black today in support of every other black body, for every other body of color that has been oppressed by a white supremacist ideology that says that blackness is lesser than, that blackness is a stigma.

“I wear it proudly today in support of every single other person of color by saying that blackness is beautiful, blackness is something that brings us together and that blackness is a rallying point.”

Leo Lou

“Because sharing the pain is the least I can do.”

Antoinette Hayford

“I’m wearing black to visually show my solidarity and support with the movement.”

Ashlyn Sanders

“I’m wearing black today to stand in solidarity with the students across the country who feel oppressed and who feel racial tension on their campus. I’m also a staunch supporter of the Black Lives Matter Movement.”

Amanda Watts

“Me wearing black and standing in solidarity with Mizzou is a demonstration of how much I value humanity and how much I want others to value humanity and understanding. If we increase understanding then racism and the oppression of other marginalized groups will no longer be a thing.”

Devon Lewis

“I wore black today to stand in solidarity with the students from Mizzou. I want them to realize that they have support across the nation. I want to raise awareness for all the people that choose to ignore what’s happening.”

S. Oliver

“I came to show support because remaining silent in times of injustice is oppression in itself.”

Chandra Christmas-Rouse

“So Duke can no longer turn a blind eye to the suffering of Black Duke. Where can students speak their truth about the burden of these acts of injustice. Where does suffering of Black Duke matter?

“I wear black to create a space where our community knows that our suffering matters too. I hope this a reminder to be active in a movement so all Duke students can feel free.”

Michael Ivory

“Wearing black was important for me because it solidifies where I stand in terms of systemic oppression that is on campus and beyond campus. I wanted to make it known that I don’t appreciate it and I’m fervently against what is going on on these campuses. That’s what wearing black means for me today.”

Justin Elliot

“Wearing black today means standing in solidarity but it also means empowerment. It shows others on campus that just because something is going on all the way in Missouri doesn’t mean that we’re not affected by it.

“As students who are oppressed and marginalized even on our campus we feel similar sentiments with Mizzou students.”

Adesuwa Giwa-Osagie

“I’m wearing black because Black students at Duke have been suffocating while the administration looks on and do nothing. I’m standing in solidarity with our brothers and sisters at Mizzou in the face of systematic oppression and violence. It is our duty to win, to love, and to protect each other.

“We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

President Broadhead and other administrators are scheduled to address these tensions in a town hall style conversation tomorrow at noon in Page Auditorium. All Duke faculty, students and staff are welcome.

Duke University black lives matter duke duke university mizzou pwi