Dartmouth junior Kaya Thomas named one of Glamour’s College Women of the Year

‘The time to bring women to the forefront of technology is now’

Dartmouth ’17 Kaya Thomas has been featured as one of Glamour magazine’s College Women of the Year.

The prestigious award is given to the most impressive college women across the States.

Thomas, a Computer Science major who mentors for the Black Girls Code program and developed the app We Read Too, said to the magazine:

“I was scrolling through TED Talks during winter break of my freshman year when I saw one with Black Girls Code founder Kimberly Bryant, who said, ‘The time to bring women to the forefront of technology is now.’ That lit a fire in me; I signed up for a coding class that same day and, after six months, created an app that catalogs children’s books and YA fiction by diverse authors. I’m not only giving brown kids the power to see themselves in these pages: Books are knowledge—and if we connect people through literature, we take a step toward understanding each other. And I want to remind kids that they can solve problems through tech!”

Thomas and the nine other recipients who received the award this year join a long line of incredible and accomplished women. Past recipients include Martha Stuart.

Dartmouth