Bernie Sanders still has a hope in this election

This weekend’s victory proves it

Seeing a lot of negative projections for Bernie Sanders in the new recently? That might have more to do with the fact that 90 percent of our media is produced by six multi-billion dollar corporations that have a lot to lose if he wins the election, than it does with his actual chances.

After all, Bernie only needs 57 percent of the remaining votes in order to receive the nomination – an achievable goal considering the South (which he performs worse in) has already been accounted for, and that he has gotten 78 percent of votes on average in the last four primary states.

But what about the super delegates?

Right now Bernie only has 29 super delegate votes to Hillary’s 469 – a massive lead to say the least.

If Bernie wins the majority of regular delegates, it’s incredibly unlikely that the Democratic party super delegates (who aren’t required to vote according to their constituents’ preferences) would prevent him from getting the Democratic nomination.

Opposing the party’s popularly-elected nominee would be egregious under normal conditions. But in this particular election cycle – where a loss in the general election would likely produce a Trump presidency, and the candidate favored by the Democratic Party’s establishment (Clinton) is expected to perform worse against Trump – super delegate intervention could be particularly disastrous.

If super delegates were to decide the election in Hillary’s favor, they would effectively be sacrificing some of their party’s political power by backstabbing their constituents in order to hand the Democratic nomination to a less electable candidate, increasing the likelihood that someday we’ll be calling Donald “President Trump.”

Furthermore, in an election characterized by anti-establishment sentiments, using establishment power to bolster the establishment candidate would substantially damage the public’s perception of the party.

Dartmouth