Ben Albrecht 16’: The creative Californian who paints mindblowing pieces

‘I’m constantly trying to find a balance between abstraction and duality of form’

Ben Albrecht is a dual Studio Art major and Neuroscience minor, Californian, Panarchist, artist (though he hates that term), curator of the Visual Art Center Student Gallery, and overall quirky intellectual. Ben is regularly seen around the VAC making strange and engaging pieces of work.

He has been integral in facilitating a greater sense of community within the student artists on campus, and has also spent countless hours making sure students have an opportunity to properly showcase their work. It doesn’t take very long to realize Ben is extremely passionate about his work, educating the public on art, and expanding everyone’s perceptions of what art encompasses.

I met with Ben in the VAC Student Gallery surrounded by an exhibit showcasing interpretations of texture. Not only was Ben the sole curator of the exhibit, but he also installed every piece himself and threw an opening show that was a great success.

When did you become interested in art?

I’ve always been doodling my entire life. I took Drawing 1 my freshman fall, but it wasn’t until sophomore year that I decided to take art seriously. I’m super interested in neuroscience, as well, and I feel as though the two subjects compliment each other.

“Untitled” by Ben Albrecht

What do you think your work encompasses? Do you find yourself leaning to specific themes and subject matters?

Definitely. I really just try to see where my imagination takes me. I’m super into exploring abstract themes and perception. I’m not super into photorealism – I like to keep some mystery in my work. My subject matter deals a lot with nature and organic matter through painting and sculpture and I try to tackle lots of big questions about perception and consciousness.

But what I would say everything boils down to is making people feel something when they look at my art. Rather than just pass by without a second glance, I want the work to allow people to think differently. Ideally, my art will poke holes in peoples’ perceptions.

It’s for this reason I don’t go into total abstraction. I love hinting at something hidden within my pieces which forces people to look and be interested. Then, once the piece grabs hold of them, they start seeing dualities and hints of reality. Through ambiguous, yet suggestive, forms I attempt to complicate the viewer’s experience of the piece. And again, this plays into my interest in perception. I’m constantly trying to find a balance between abstraction and representation.

What would you consider an artistic lifestyle?

I guess after immersing myself in art, I’ve realized that there are opportunities for art in all facets of life. Every space and every object can be integrated into art. In a general sense, practicing art has made me a more perceptive and aware individual.

How do you view your role as an artist in society?

My role as an artist centers around breaking down conventional boxes, pushing people to question their beliefs, and through sharing creativity, allowing people themselves to be more creative.

But honestly, this is a hard question for me to answer since, truthfully, I just make art because it feels good. I’m not focused on achieving a specific grade or praise from a professor. I make art because it’s such a liberating experience.

What’s the most frustrating thing about being an artist?

Well, it’s always a bit frustrating. Dealing with artist block and then suddenly finding inspiration, only to lose it again can be a lot to deal with.

That’s why I don’t like the term “artist.” There’s such a connotation of excellence attached to the word, and sometimes I feel like it pressures me to make a certain type of work that may not feel as natural or true. I’d much rather be considered a “maker.” I feel as though a lot of my work has been experimental, and in this sense, sometimes doesn’t always turn out as planned. But that’s one of the humbling things about art and also part of pushing your practice into uncharted territories.

“Figure Study” by Ben Albrecht

Is that why you like abstraction?

Yeah, definitely. Abstraction is way more “me.” Art for me isn’t about producing the best or most perfect piece of work. It’s about working through your thought processes, bringing something  unique into the world, and enjoying the work along the way.

All of my pieces end up being filtered through my experiences and idiosyncrasies and turn into their own form of fiction that represent me. I think that’s a pretty integral and interesting part of my art.

Everyone seems to have this notion that artists live a very solitary lifestyle. Do you agree?

I’m definitely trying to move away from that. I love group art projects like murals and exquisite corpses. It’s something I’m working to integrate into the student gallery. I’d love to see that space become a place of community and conversation.

It’s definitely true that artists need to spend a lot of time in solitude. It’s something that I enjoy, but it’s also fun to bring everyone together to share art.

“Z.F.” by Ben Albrecht

How do you view your artistic experience at Dartmouth and how do you think art is regarded within the community?

Probably the hardest thing about doing art here is not having all the time I want to create work. Other classes really get in the way of that.

But I definitely don’t think art is part of the mainstream. I guess because people think that art is easy? My perception of Dartmouth is the majority of the student body sees college as a direct stepping stone to a career. I just don’t view art in that way. I make art because I enjoy it, not because I have a long plan for the future.

I guess in that way I view artists who are deeply focused on their practices as more present in their lives. They’re not as worried about future outcomes, but concentrate more on engaging in work that has personal importance.

To finish up, do you have a favorite artist or piece of art?

I always have a hard time with this question since it’s like asking someone what their favorite song is. Though he’s not my favorite at this moment, the artist who really influenced me when I was beginning art was Van Gogh. I empathized with him and his story. He really struggled in his life and worked through a lot of issues. I like that about him.

Ben with his two pieces in the current exhibit at the VAC Student Gallery

Dartmouth