Dining at Dartmouth: Collis Café

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Collis

Collis certainly offers students the highest dollar value per DBA spent of any DDS eatery. For instance, Collis’s sausage breakfast sandwiches cost just as much as the ones offered at the HOP, but at Collis they use real eggs instead of the egg substitute they use at the HOP. You see this kind of price inconsistency between DDS location pretty frequently, but in Collis’s case, the price discrepancies are usually in its favor.

Breakfast

Collis blows the rest of DDS out of the water in early hours. It takes too long to eat at FOCO, KAF doesn’t have a great selection of breakfast foods, and the HOP doesn’t even seem to be trying with its 11am opening time.

Last ingredient= vodka?

Collis on the other hand offers pre-made breakfast sandwiches. You walk in, and within a minute or two you’re on your way back out with however much breakfast food your heart desires. No wait, no lines. It almost makes you wish Collis featured more pre-made dinner items.

Collis’s greatness has just as much to do with the quality of service as it does with the quality of food though. When I came in for breakfast the other day, one of the employees (who I had no recollection of) held out my sandwich before I had ordered, asking “sausage breakfast sandwich, is this the right one?” Write me next time you get that kind of personal service at Novack.

Desserts

More than anything, the dessert menu at Collis is “interesting.” It seems like someone stuffed a hat with slips of paper containing different types of desserts (chocolate, peanut butter, brownie), as well as a series of earthy liberal buzz words like rolled oats, gluten free, buckwheat etc. and formed the desert menu around whatever they happen to pull. I cannot conceive a better reasoning for the buckwheat cookies that were on sale last week.

Dinner

With a menu of custom-made pastas and stir-frys that will take you back to simpler times, Collis’s biggest problem is actually a consequence of it being so great. Students flock from near and far to get a piece of what Collis manager Fawna Wilson has to offer, and consequently, lines get exceptionally long during peak hours.

Dartmouth