A Dartmouth student’s opinion on Sanders and Clinton

‘Clinton would be more likely to compromise her ideals if she were to become President’

Just yesterday, the final delegate from the Iowa caucus was determined with the flip of a coin.  According to USA Today, Hilary came in with 49.86 percent of the popular vote, barely ahead of Bernie, who took 49.57 percent. The race will be incredibly close, and New Hampshire will prove to be a critical state in either candidate’s success.

Both presidential candidates have come to Hanover, NH to campaign, speaking to students, professors and town residents. As the intellectual hub of New Hampshire, Dartmouth’s community will play a critical role in the NH primary. Just last month, Bernie Sanders spoke in Spaulding auditorium to a crowd of 1,500 people with more being in the overflow room. One Dartmouth student, Tanya, was one of the many watching from this room.

Sanders during his forum at the Spaulding auditorium (PC: Chinedum Nwaigwe)

She was especially touched that Sanders visited and greeted them and went over what his talking points would be, before making his way to the stage. She will be voting for Sanders in the primary as she supports Bernie’s plans to reform the criminal justice system to be less punitive, and to make health care and higher education more affordable.

If Bernie does not win the primary, she will be voting for Clinton in the general election. Clinton has made several visits to the “College on the Hill.” Last summer, Clinton spoke in the BEMA. However, in stark contrast to Sanders’ prompt arrival, Ms. Clinton arrived late.  While Tanya and many others waited, there was music playing and food available. They were told to move towards the middle several times, so that the space would appear fuller. When Clinton did make her appearance, Tanya felt like Clinton lacked passion, and was speaking only to build popular support.

Nevertheless, Tanya was struck by Clinton’s remarks in support of providing daycare for working parents and extending paid maternity leave.

Clinton at the Tuck School of Business as part of their “America’s Economic Future” event (PC: Chinedum Nwaigwe)

Clinton also made a particularly unsettling remark in regards to Freddie Gray and the riots that followed his death. Freddie Gray died at the hands of the Baltimore Police this past April.  Clinton never mentioned Gray’s name, but rather referenced him as the “young man in Baltimore.” Clinton went on to tell the audience that, as a child, Gray lived in a home that had lead paint, which could have caused him to develop neurological issues and is the reason why he provoked the police officers. Taking up a victim blaming mentality, Clinton failed to put any blame on law enforcement officials, did not argue in favor of police reform, and expressed no discomfort with the current racial climate in the United States. No one clapped for any of Clinton’s remarks on the death of Freddie Gray.

Hearing both Clinton and Sanders speak, Tanya feels that Bernie Sanders has a moral conviction that she does not find in Hillary. She believes that Clinton is competent but, because of her close ties to corporate America and other large funders, Clinton would be more likely to compromise her ideals if she were to become President.

Before voting, make sure to listen to your favorite candidates more closely. See candidates speak in person, if you have the chance. The primaries should be an exciting time! In the meantime, stay informed, involved and don’t forget to vote!

Dartmouth