A beginner’s guide to being Facetimey

‘What does Facetime mean?’ – Dartmouth ’20

Should I go outside and get Facetime today? If your hair, outfit and face are all in order and are worth showcasing to the world then your answer better be yes!

For people who do not know what the Dartmouth lingo “Facetime” means here is a simple definition: the pursuit to gain social capital by being present at opportune times and locations on campus. “Facetime” was one of the first campus slang words that I was introduced to. I thought it was silly at first. However, as I became more acclimated to the culture it made sense to use a word to describe what we all do anyway.

First floor Berry – Facetime central

Engaging in Facetime will get you noticed. People will become better acquainted with your face and this could lead to more friendships. We all like to have more faces on campus that we can greet on our way to class and being Facetimey is a great way to do just that.

Facetime is also great for the obvious conceited reason. Somedays, when your look is all coming together, you want to flaunt your beauty to the world that even shocked you when you looked in the mirror that morning. Feed the ego, but don’t become a Kanye West.

Getting Facetime means you can people watch, which can be pretty hilarious. As other people check you out you can do the same to them. Also observing the different faces of Dartmouth, which change every year, is a great way to stay connected.

Some of the best places to get Facetime are:

1. First floor Baker
  2. First floor Berry
  3. Novack
  4. Collis
  5. The Hop
  6. KAF
  7. Great Hall (Thayer)
  8. Foco
  9. The Gym
  10. The Green

I don’t believe one place is necessarily better than the other, but of course at each location you will be able to see different kinds of people. Freshman generally mob to Foco in flocks. Stressed out studiers can be seen waiting in line at Novack late into the night. Dartmouth’s most notable procrastinators can be found on first floor Berry.

The Green – Another prime location to maximize facetime

However, be careful of getting too much Facetime! Unless you are eating, worrying about whether people’s eyes are wandering on you, or trying to monitor the traffic, getting Facetime can distract you from studying. Facetime should be a hobby, not a job that you pick up as soon as you get out of class.

This was your official introduction to Facetime, use it wisely – one of the Dartmouth keys to success.

Dartmouth