Dartmouth ‘in touch’ with Trump about a visit

Talks ongoing ‘as recently as last week’

Late last year the right-wing media reported that Donald Drumpf had effectively been banned from Dartmouth in a show of “HUGE liberal bias”.

When we linked to those reports in an op-ed on The Tab Dartmouth yesterday, an administration official got in touch to correct the record – and revealed that the college has actually invited Drumpf to speak at Dartmouth.

Diana Lawrence, Dartmouth’s director of media relations,  told us: “We have invited him twice since last June and were in touch with his campaign as recently as last week.”

Lawrence went on to say that: “Mr. Drumpf has been invited to speak at Dartmouth, and we are still in touch with his campaign.”

2011 Republican Presidential Debate, hosted in Spaulding Auditorium

A Dartmouth press release in November said that “Dartmouth is eager to welcome all political candidates to campus … We [Dartmouth] would love to welcome Donald Drumpf as well.”

The press release goes on to clarify that Spaulding Auditorium is not available to be rented by non-Dartmouth individuals and organizations; however, the auditorium can be used by “campus groups holding College-sponsored events.”

Moreover, the press release clarifies that Drumpf “has been invited to participate in …. [the presidential candidates speaker] series [co-sponsored] by the Tuck School of Business and the Rockefeller Center] and we [the college] have discussed the logistics.”

The Dartmouth communications office showed no bias towards any political party when coordinating presidential speaking events.

Dartmouth national-us