We need free MetroCards already

Or at least half off please

It’s strange that a commuter school in a city with one of the most famous public transportation systems in the world still doesn’t provide its students with a free Metrocard or at least an affordable one. And unless you’re one of those crazy health nuts that ride their bikes five miles each way to get to campus, there isn’t even any sort of alternative to getting around in this city.

But what is most aggravating is the fact that CUNY tuition is increasing annually while there is no serious discussion of any of that money being allocated to  ensure salary raises or contracts for adjuncts and professors. CUNY wont even raise their minimum wage for staff to $15 while SUNY even though already agreed to do so.

The golden ticket…

So if the money is not going to helping out students and not to the professors, where is the money going? Why is tuition rising, not to mention, along with metrocard prices? It’s not like we are seeing drastic changes at CUNY with facilities or extra-curriculars  or signs of possible meal plans or students discounts at local areas.

And then we have to discuss why CUNY has such high administrative overhead costs? At  $4,634 per student, we are beating out a good portion of public colleges around the country yet we have little to show for it. I mean you could ask any student how they feel about the administration at CUNY and most will tell you that they feel as though nothing is changing, as though nothing is getting done. So once again, where is the money going?

Home

For a student who has to travel to class, then to work, then back to class and then back home – the pricing can reach up to $400 per semester for a single student.

It seems like these issues are perceived as small, but they stem to a larger bureaucratic issue at CUNY that is only being addressed at the most minimal level. And while there are some groups throughout the CUNY system that help some students with affordable MetroCards and free MetroCards for CUNY students has been proposed in the past, virtually nothing is being done about it.

Hunter College