Commuting from Jersey? Good luck, NJ Transit are probably going on strike

It’s due to happen next month

If you travel by way of NJ Transit you might want to stay wary of changes in your commute in the next month.

Sources from inside a coalition of transit unions working with New Jersey Transit say that a “soft strike” on Saturday March 12th is looking more and more likely.

The coalition, made up of 17 separate unions, has worked for the past five years without a contract.

Last month an agreement was made to establish a “cooling off” period of 60 days, before NJ Transit management have to decide on whether to provide the contract.

Officially, a strike hasn’t been called, but in a union meeting last night picketing on March 12th was discussed.

Non-train transit workers, like bus operators, are not involved in the strike and will keep working in areas where demonstrations may be held. Will they willingly cross the strike-line, or will they support striking unions?

The last strike of transit unions lasted for 34 days back in 1983. It’s suspected that President Obama himself will put a stop to this one after the March 12th weekend – even then there is no way to tell how long a strike could go on for.

For those intending to go from New Jersey to the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Manhattan on March 17th, a long strike could ruin your plans.

Hunter College