We left pre-med and have never been happier

Why leaving pre-med has led to more fulfilling pursuits

Pre-med. For some, it brings only happiness and joy, while for others it was an eye-opening experience to say the least. Many young undergrads begin their four years of college on the path to becoming a doctor by choosing the pre-med track.

This overwhelming bunch of courses soon makes some realize this was most certainly not the right option for them. It’s also really difficult to know if pre-med is the life for you unless you try it out.

We asked some students who transitioned out of the pre-med life how their experience was, why they changed tracks and how whatever they chose to switch into was going for them.

Andrew McGill, 21, English

“I dropped cause I didn’t want to be a doctor anymore. I was taking Bio, and in the thick of it while thinking of taking all these other sciences classes I realized I just couldn’t take it anymore. Just wasn’t into it.

“So then I switched over to an English major. It was either do it or don’t. I love what I do now. In some other countries, you kind of jump right into it after high school, where here you go from high school to college.

“It was not really time, but two years just like trying to figure it out. But I’m back on track now. It’s still like dope to take the classes and figure it out.”

Philip To, 20, Chemistry

“Originally, I was a pre-med student studying Biochem. I had a bunch of extra classes in math and physics that wouldn’t have contributed to my Biochem major so I switched to a Chemistry major. Working in a laboratory more made me realize research was my true path and I could impact more people overall through that outlet.

“Meeting with my Hunter advisors also made me realize the passion I had for business and its connection with research.”

Julia Canzoneri, 19, English

“For my entire Freshman year I was a pre-med student because I thought it was what I wanted. I thought I could really heal people and I wanted to follow a prestigious career path because I felt I owed my family that much.

“It became apparent as the year went on that I was disinterested and unmotivated in my science classes so I threw myself into my humanities classes. Over spring break I finally talked to my parents and they were both very supportive of my decision to not go through with the pre-med track.

“Now, as an English major, I’m truly happy and more mentally healthy. Hunter has offered great classes making the transition very smooth and straightforward. Taking classes at the Roosevelt House and being in the Hertog Scholars program has allowed me to envision a future for myself in law and public service. ”

Camille Stewart, 21, Anthropology and Geography

“Well, I started Hunter as a pre-med, Biochem major and as I was taking classes in Chemistry, I realized that wasn’t really what I wanted to study and I didn’t feel the inspiration in these classes. I started taking classes in other fields like Anthropology and the Humanities subjects.

“There, I found the inspiration. Also, the limited seats and big lectures in the pre-med classes were bothering me. Having the smaller classes and more attention given to each student in the Anthropology and Geography classes was better.

“So in sophomore year, I switched my major and path. I plan on going on to do the Geography Information Systems raduate certificate program, stuff like Mapping and Geocoding.”

Hunter College CUNY CUNY Hunter NYC Pre-med The Tab