Pro-Palestine demonstration outside of Israeli consulate

‘Not another nickel, not another dime, no more money for Israel’s crimes’

Today, happy hour in Midtown was anything but.

Pro-Palestine supporters rallied outside of the Israeli Consulate on 2nd Avenue over the recent acts of violence in the Middle East.

The violence, which occurred early yesterday morning in the West Bank, resulted in approximately 499 injured Palestinians and three deaths.

The deaths included two teenagers, ages 13 and 18, and were the heart of the reason for the rally.

Rani Allen, a Hunter junior and member of Adalah, an independent group that boycotts Israel, said: “Teenagers continue to get killed and the world stays silent about it.

“Here, we are showing our support for the oppression going on. We are here to show solidarity. This is the least we can do.”

Rani

Half of the block between 42nd Street and 43rd Street was specially gated for the protest.

Signs and flags were raised high as the scene livened up immediately after microphones were plugged in.

Speakers blared, voicing demands for justice for not just Palestine, but other social issues that have struck controversy in the United States.

The rally was hosted by a number of groups that take special interest in Middle Eastern tensions, in support of Palestine.

Groups that sponsored the rally included: NY4Palestine, Al-Awda NY, American Muslims for Palestine, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, Jews for Palestinian Right of Return, Existence is Resistance, and Labor for Palestine.

Members of the Hunter community were also present at the rally, specifically students who belong to the aforementioned groups.

Nerdeen

Hunter senior and Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) member Nerdeen Kiswani said: “I’m Palestinian, but I am also a firm believer in justice and I’m a firm believer in equality.

“And these beliefs are the main reason I am here today, not just because I’m Palestinian.”

Mike rallying the crowd

To a crowd of 60 or so protestors, SJP member and senior Mike Legaspi said: “One of things that we’re talking about today is the continued genocide of our Palestinian brothers and sisters.

“With the understanding that our revolution over there, means nothing without the overthrow of Israeli colonialism and U.S. imperialism in Palestine.”

As Legaspi spoke, a few counter protesters stood outside the gated-off protest area, sporadically screaming at the protest.

Police stood around the parameter of the protest to prevent further altercations. One woman started chanting “shame, shame, shame on you” in reply to the “free, free Palestine” chant that could be heard from down the block.

Wisam

North Begen High Schooler Wisam Rashid said: “We’re here to show the Israeli people that this is not okay, that this is not allowed.

“They cannot continue to do this, they cannot continue to kill and arrest and detain teenagers. It’s not right.”

Dan

Dan Cione, another SJP member, said: “We organize for liberation of all people, not just Palestinians.

“We also organize for police brutality, and all types of other struggles.”

Dan mentioned there have been protests in the past, particularly in Bay Ridge, where community members feel the effects of the conflict.

But this one was different.

He added: “This spot was chosen because of the Israeli Consulate.

“We’re trying to tell the Israelis that we’re here, and we’re going to fight for Palestine.”

Hunter College CUNY Hunter Demonstration Israel NYC Palestine Palestine-Israel Protest The Tab