Why CU Boulder is better than University of Washington in every category

What kind of a school color is purple?

As the rise of CU Boulder became officially real this past Saturday as our CU Buffs took down Utah, the Pac 12 Championship against Washington now looms ahead this Friday. Are CU fans ready to watch their team battle to a win? Hell yeah! Because lets face it, CU Boulder is just better…

Our fans > Their fans 

It’s a no brainer to say CU students know how to party, but along with such a fun atmosphere comes huge pride and an even bigger Buff spirit. Fans not only dress up for the game, but they dress up in anything and everything for the entire day, wherever they go, to promote Buff support. Who needs a little purple when you have fierce black and gold in all shapes and fashions all day all the time in Boulder!

Tailgating is our middle name

If there’s one thing CU Boulder fans know how to do it’s get pumped for a big game! If there’s a game at 5:30 or even 7, people are starting to get wild the moment they wake up. Not only that, but CU pride and celebration is EVERYWHERE. Frats, sororities, houses, all around the streets in neighborhoods and on campus, there’s not one spot not filled with fun games and ready fans.

Flatirons, Denver, Pearl Street, ski slopes > Water Front

Where else can you see a man stuff himself into a box, watch a daredevil ride a 10-foot-tall unicycle and test the knowledge of Zip Code guy all before you have dinner and drinks overlooking the Flatirons? It’s definitely not anywhere in the University of Washington. CU Boulder is a few minutes walk from the outdoor mall of Pearl Street or 16th Street and about a 20-30 minute drive from Denver. If we want to go outdoors we have the Flatirons right outside our backdoor or 13 different ski slopes within three hours or less of a drive. To say we are blessed with the most beautiful campus is definitely an understatement.

We have the Hill and the Hill’s famous Cosmo’s and spicy ranch

If you read that statement and your mouth didn’t immediately fill with salvia and your fingers didn’t twitch at wanting to order right this second… or especially if you don’t know what I’m talking about then you are NOT a CU Boulder student. Not only that, but you have not experienced the best pizza combo of your life. The Hill in Boulder has so many fun and unique restaurants but no one can argue there is absolutely nothing like some Cosmo’s and spicy ranch at any hour of the night or day. There’s no comparison, end of story!

Chip > Harry for best mascot

Chip is a mascot that does it all! Chip is everywhere on game day. He’s up and down Pearl Street with the team, he’s taking pictures with little Buff fans, he’s getting pumped up with the students, and he’s amping up the crowd at every single game. A huge symbol of the CU pride, Chip stands proud to show how such a big community can come together as a family to support their team. He’s everyone’s buddy and everyone’s number one fan!

Ralphie > Udub’s Husky

If there’s one thing that is a bold standing tradition at any school, Ralphie’s run to kick off the start of every CU football game is tradition that not only CU fans love, look forward to and respect, but it’s something that any fan can look forward to and respect. Time and time again Ralphie has been called one of the best live mascots in sports, unlike any other in college football. Even opposing teams are excited to watch Ralphie round the end zone and fly by their sideline. The tradition started in October of 1967 and for all the 49 years since, all the CU spirit has cheered Ralphie on across the field and football’s best mascot will continue to do so for many many years to come.

There’s nothing like Folsom Field

According to the rankings of the Pac 12 stadiums, CU’s Folsom field stands fiercely against all others. With the amazing Rocky Mountain backdrop, the field was quoted by ESPN as a gem and a great addition to the Pac-12’s list of stadiums. With Ralphie as the mascot, usually awesome weather and a breathtaking setting, the stadium easily has one of the greatest atmospheres in college football. From a team that has come from “worst to first,” the atmosphere of the crowd has only gotten more and more intense and the spirit continuing to build. The rise has put Folsom above all else, even people from other schools have jumped on the CU band wagon and made it to games to help sell out the stadium.

CU pride goes through all generations

CU has been a team with ups and downs, but the great thing about a team that has had set backs is when they start kicking ass, it’s amazing to see how many fans have been there every step of the way. Alumni of all ages have been in attendance to the games at Folsom and whether they are six years old or 80 years old, fans cheer loud and proud.

Our team > Their team

The road has been long and hard for CU football and this year our boys have worked just as long and just as hard to provide shock and awe for anyone watching. Every team underestimated them, every sports announcer and center looked down on them, every year seemed like another let down. With a 10-2 record unlike any other in years, these boys have brought together a community and solidified the amazing pride that comes with being a Colorado Buffalo. Their hearts following the leadership of the newest Coach of the Year, Mike MacIntyre, have truly united a once broken program and no one can argue the bold attention they have brought with their rise. Washington may be tough, but this isn’t just a CU football team they are playing now. This is a football team with determination and an army of supporters ready for a win right behind them. Jump on the bandwagon if you haven’t already and turn on your TV’s Friday night, the best rising football team and all their buff fans are ready to buff em up! GO CU!!!

University of Colorado Boulder