Boulder’s post-election protests prove we seek change after election results

We won’t just stand by and we won’t be silenced

The results of the 2016 presidential election came as a surprise to most. To some, the results are enraging and evoking a lot of emotion over the past week.

Two days after the election, on Thursday November 10th, over 1,000 Boulderites, including myself, gathered on Pearl. The crowed was larger than many had expected. We marched all the way up Broadway to the intersection of Baseline, onto 36th stopping traffic, and finally ending back on Pearl Street. For over three hours people chanted a variety of moving messages. “Love Trumps Hate” is the famous one, but also “My body, my choice,” “Climate change is real,” “No one is illegal,” “No Trump, No KKK, No racist USA.” These messages were all in reference to Donald Trump’s policy proposals and comments during his campaign for the presidency.

Protest Thursday November 10th in Boulder

Sunday, November 13, a group of CU students met to write in chalk on the campus’ walkways. This was to bring awareness to the hate marginalized groups on campus are feeling directly after the election results. Minority students on CU’s campus are not alone, as hate crimes have been plaguing the US so soon after the election. CNN reported hate crimes spiked 6% in the 48 hours following election day. Students at CU were hoping the chalk on campus would remind people what this election entailed.

Chalk writing on campus Monday Nov 14th

On Monday of last week a smaller group of Buffs conjoined outside the Coors Event Center in silence and wearing black. Some were holding signs and some fists in symbolism of solidarity. As fans entered the stadium in preparation for the CU vs. Seattle game to begin, most of the protest group moved inside for the national anthem. There were about 20 people who either raised their fists proudly or knelt, depending on the group each individual identified with during and after the national anthem. We also chanted “Black Lives Matter,” “Latino/Latina Lives Matter,” “Muslim Lives Matter,” “Donald Trump is Racist,” etc.

Xavier Chochrane is the co-president of Black Student Alliance (BSA). He spoke to me on behalf of the group and said “this is a peaceful demonstration so we can have our voice heard. Not just the black students, but other minority groups around campus as well. The Latino groups, the Muslim groups, LGBT.”

The sentiment of the protest in the basketball stadium was a lot different than being surrounded by 1,000 people in the streets. There were many more bystanders who approached individuals in the group and were less afraid to ask questions. I thought this was good because it facilitated understanding and awareness.

Chalk writing on campus Monday Nov 14th

Tuesday the 15th students conducted a “die-in” protest in front of the UMC. The goal of this protest was to show “direct disapproval and dissent against President Elect Trump and the misogynistic, racist, Islamophobic, and homophobic rhetoric he constantly feeds to the masses and encourages,” said freshman, Gwen. She felt they accomplished their goal of “showing that we are refusing to take this direct threat to our lives and well being as minorities/the people whose existences in America are put on trial by Trump.” Gwen also added, “We are here, America is as much ours as anyone’s and we are going to fight for the right to be seen as equal people in our homeland.”

Friday, November 18, Boulder joined up again on Pearl Street. This time, only about 50 people were present, unlike the thousand from the week before, likely due to the below freezing weather. This meeting was important because the groups, including Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center and Direct Action Everywhere-Colorado, started a dialogue as far as the action they want to see. They want to create a space where communities can connect and talk, and to ensure everyone who wants to be is informed.

Chalk writing on campus Monday Nov 14th

We are not protesting simply because we didn’t get what we wanted. Instead we are saying we do not want a leader to act as Trump did during his campaign. We are stating from the beginning that we will not tolerate racism and further division of our country. I believe instead of embracing the challenge of a diverse and changing country, Trump exploited some people’s frustrations. I, too, am frustrated. However, I know the solution does not entail building a wall, registering Muslims and reversing social progress with gay rights (and I am talking more about Mike Pence here, and less about Trump). Trump did not accept the responsibility of uniting a diverse America. Instead, he opted for the easy way out. He said we’re just going to kick people out and this will solve our economic issues. He said we are going to keep people out of our borders and this will solve terrorism.

I accept the results of the election and I will move forward to make progress with my fellow Americans not caring whether you voted for Trump or not. However, I do not support Trump’s policies that he has proposed as of yet. It is not just that these policies are flawed, they will cause additional problems that I believe will contribute to a reversal of progress. I refuse to see our great country take steps backward in social and human progress.

University of Colorado Boulder