A definitive ranking of the best and worst freshman dorms at CU

Warning to freshman: complete housing BEFORE you even know you’re going here

Moving onto The Hill after freshman year at CU Boulder is definitely an experience. However, every student does have to survive living on campus their first year of college. From using a meal swipe to get the best hungover quesadilla a student could ask for at the Grab and Go, to having Farrand Field as your backyard, living on campus at CU Boulder has its perks as well.

But not every dorm was created equal at this school.

The Best

Baker Hall

Located in the heart of campus, CU students can agree that Baker Hall is the best dorm on campus. Recently remodeled and reopened for the 2014-2015 school year, this hall is home to a variety of room sizes, and some even containing private baths. However, Baker RA’s are known to be pretty strict, so these kids tend to get their fair share of write-ups and noise complaints.

Libby Hall

Looking onto Farrand Field, Libby Hall has many perks. Along with an on-site dining hall in the building, the dorm has few floors, so being out of breath getting to your room won’t be an issue. Although this hall could go for a revamping, Libby is the perfect distance from on-campus classes and to The Hill, so looks are not these students main concerns.

Sewall Hall

Despite Sewall being on the other side of campus, this dorm is one of the prettiest halls on campus and is located right next to the Rec Center, so these students will be most likely to avoid the freshman 15. Another bonus about this dorm is that these students can take a quick stroll to the bottom part of The Hill, home to many of the frats and Half Fast Subs aka the sandwiches the size of your head.

The Worst

Williams Village

Along with being a cool 15 minute walk to main campus, Williams Village is home to five dorms that should at least be the nicest dorms considering their location. With the exception of Williams Village North, these dorms have remained the same since their construction in the 1960’s. The only positive note to living in one of these five towers is that these students have their own gym, and a cafeteria is currently being constructed.

Brackett Hall

Being one of the oldest dorms on campus, everything from Brackett’s bathrooms to study rooms need a serious revamping. Located in the Engineering Quadrangle, Brackett is home to around 120 students, and considering it is an Engineer Dorm, I doubt there is much noise made anywhere other than the study room located on each floor.

Andrews Hall

Waking up to screaming geese every morning is just one of the many awful things about the location of Andrews Hall. Despite being in a pretty crummy part of campus, these dorms are, well, old to say the least.

Despite the many dorms freshmen are offered on campus, there are definitely some gems and some duds. Take a 10 minute break from your trip to Cancun in March to remember to apply for housing, unless you want to be walking across campus every morning for your 8am.

University of Colorado Boulder