How to avoid the Freshman 15 while eating on the Hill

Too. many. options

Walking on the Hill, you will experience a variety of stores and scents. From the slices of Cosmo’s bigger than your future, to the tacos from Illegal Pete’s that will make you reconsider going to Cabo for spring break, The Hill at CU Boulder has many great food options, but not great nutritionally speaking.

However, there are ways to enjoy these great food places without gaining the dreaded Freshman 15 (or 30).

The Corner

From the beet and goat cheese salad to the breakfast burritos served all day, you can not really go wrong at The Corner. Looking for something filling and healthy? Try one of the five bowl’s offered. From the Thai peanut bowl to the Paleo bowl, these menu items are a great meal on the go or not.

Tip: The Corner offer’s additions of tofu, mahi-mahi and salmon to any bowl and salad for a healthy protein topping.

Illegal Pete’s

It is probably best to not walk past Illegal Pete’s after a night on The Hill. Open until 2:30am, Illegal Pete’s is home to some of the best late night food CU Boulder has to offer. Although getting three tacos with a side of queso often seems like a good idea while intoxicated, the next morning you may be filled with regrets. However, there are some healthy alternatives that will still include a tasty meal. Illegal Pete’s offer’s hearty make-your-own burrito bowls. It is best to stick with brown rice, chicken, vegetables, pico and guacamole.

Tip: When given the choice between chips or a tortilla on the side of your meal, say no to both. You’ll thank me in the morning.

Half Fast Subs

Known for their extensive sandwich menu, Half Fast Subs has any cold or hot sandwich combination you can think of. From the Thanksgiving themed “Gobbler,” to the vegetarian “Portabella Boomer,” there is no wrong sandwich choice on the menu. If you are trying to make yourself feel better, go for the whole wheat seven inch sub. Although it sounds healthier than the french or white bread choice, I doubt it really is.

Tip: Do not get a 14 inch sub. It does not matter how much you think you can eat, these sandwiches are massive and filling. Stick with the seven inch.

Boss Lady Pizza 

Though the pizza toppings are almost endless, the healthy options are pretty limited. Nothing screams “I had a good night” like having boss sauce on your pajama shirt. Though a salad is not necessarily the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Boss Lady, they are pretty delicious and affordable.

Tip: If you want a slice of pizza, go for it. There truly is no healthy option, and if you need a cheesy fixing, treat yourself and don’t look back.

The Sink

From the pizza to the burgers, The Sink has a great menu filled with a variety of pub food. However, it is easy to get carried away on the menu. The sweet potato fries are a must have, but the wraps and salads are definitely something to consider as well.

Tip: Consider a burger from The Sink a splurge. And no, it is not weird to get a salad from here because they are a lot better than you think.

In terms of food offered on The Hill, moderation is definitely key. Enjoy your slice of Boss Lady Pizza that was drenched in barbecue sauce, but remember that Core power yoga is right next door.

University of Colorado Boulder