Denver ranked one of the top 10 cities for young professionals

Looks like we should all stick around after graduation

Denver was ranked the #8 best city for young professionals in 2016 by Forbes.

In recent years, college graduates are facing better odds in the job market than they have in the past. However, this doesn’t mean we can come out of college and pick whichever city closest to the ocean quite yet. Now more than ever, students are coming out of college with piles of debt on their shoulders. If this sounds like you, you may think twice about moving to one of the major economic powerhouse cities.

In order to determine the hot spots for college graduates, Forbes looked carefully at the 100 largest Metropolitan areas. For each city, they analyzed  local unemployment rates, job projections, median salaries for college graduates with five years or less of experience, salaries with consideration of living costs, and the percentage of the population aged 25 and older with a bachelors degree or higher.

This resulted in a list of “America’s 20 best cities for young professionals in 2016,” consisting not only of the famous metro areas such as San Francisco or Silicon Valley, but also the underdogs and the up and comings – cities where salaries are high, and costs of living are still relatively low. The perfect scenario if your trying to dig yourself out of debt.

Among the growing cities, fell Denver, Colorado at number 8. With an abundance of job opportunities, and a continuous growth in popularity, Denver might be the best spot to set camp for 2016’s graduating seniors.

What sets Denver apart of from its competitors – cities like Indianapolis, IN, Madison, WI, Austin, TX, and Columbus, OH – is quality of life: a factor not accounted for in the list of top 20. Sure, Columbus, Ohio may have us beat when looking at living costs, but when looking at the pros and cons, nothing compares to Colorado. Furthermore, in a era where social media runs the world, we cannot ignore the fact that Denver was among the two happiest cities in the nation based on ‘the Twitter Happiness Report,’ which tracks expressed emotions online. In the report, Denverites were found to have the highest daily levels of positivity.

If landing number eight on a list of the most economically wise cities to settle in after college was not enough to convince you to sign your lease in Denver, consider the city’s sure-fire recipe for a happy life. Denver offers 300 days of sunshine per year, some of the healthiest food options in America, an exciting night life and the world’s most beautiful mountain ranges only minutes away.

University of Colorado Boulder