College trends that need to be left in 2016

Some trends just need to be laid to rest before 2017 rolls around

With 2016 coming to a close, it’s the time to come up with new year’s resolutions and to reflect on what happened in the past twelve months. Needless to say, 2016 had its moments, from the feel-good (Chewbacca mom having the time of her life) to the mournful (rest in peace Alan Rickman, you were the best Snape a Potterhead could have asked for). However, there were some trends that had their moment in the limelight but need to be finally laid to rest. It’s been a great run, but really, how many more times do we need to say “it’s lit” before it’s no longer lit to say “it’s lit”?

“Closer” by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey

I’m not going to say that this is a bad song, because I honestly liked it when it first came out. After hearing way too many renditions of this song by people who should really only be singing in the shower, though, it’s lost the original appeal. By this point, it’s been overhyped and overplayed. There are other great songs out there, so how about we just acknowledge that the glory days for this song are long over and move on.

Pastel-colored drinks from Starbucks

So these guys were great during the summer and looked cute, but they’ve had their time to shine. It’s hard to take people seriously when they’re holding an Easter-themed drink in their hands, and it really isn’t something that will give you that much-needed jolt of caffeine, now is it? Let’s be real, the fruity, pastel-y drinks just aren’t that great and don’t belong in 2017. And am I really the only one who think that the pink drink looks like watered-down Pepto Bismol? Think about it.

Saying “It’s Lit”

This has been a trend for a while (and by that, I mean more than twelve months), but it was doomed the day it was created. It may have been funny to say that your room was “lit” when you only put up about twenty strands of fairy lights, but people are just overusing the phrase at this point. Just because something is cool or you’re having fun doesn’t mean “it’s lit.” So in 2017, how about we come up with a new phrase for saying that something’s cool or that a party is getting wild?

Dabbing

The days of dabbing being cool are long gone, and now it’s more of people trying to be cool or funny or annoying without having to say anything. People, there is nothing cool about sticking both of your arms out to the same side, and faking a sneeze for the sake of dabbing is very uncomfortable for the people around you. Not to mention the risk of smacking someone in the face if you’re not careful – and people who dab typically don’t have caution as a top priority.

#jokingoff #funnyshit #jokes #funnymemes #funny #dontdab #lessons #losers #lmao

A photo posted by Funny Humor (@humorforeverybody) on Dec 9, 2016 at 3:41pm PST

Let’s face it. With a new year, there will be new trends, and some of these old ones will hopefully fall by the wayside. Here’s to hoping that the new year will have some better (and less annoying) trends than the new one!

Cornell