Growing up in Ithaca: A little bubble in Upstate New York

I hate to use the phrase crunchy granola, but it’s pretty accurate

I love my hometown. In just ten minutes, the hilly, wooded, roads and bridges meld into winding routes that pass by corn fields and vineyards. It may be at least an hour’s drive in any direction to a larger, more urban destination in upstate New York. However, there is something comforting about the fresh products and community of progressive, engaged people in such a small radius.

I love my town so much that I chose to spend four more years of my young adult life going to college in Ithaca. I can’t wait to explore even more as I gain more perspective as one of those jay-walking, up all night, eager to learn students in Ithaca.

The hippie lifestyle

Mason jars, flax outfits, a love for tie dye, and locally-sourced products are just some of the preferences that set apart the inhabitants of my hometown. Ithaca, New York is a little step away from the reality of most of the world. The town itself is fairly progressive and we have our very own organic food co-op along with an ecovillage community.

Education and community values

Every year, the population of this area doubles in size when students return. Ithaca College, Cornell University, and nearby Tompkins Cortland Community College are all institutions that are well integrated into the community. Here, the value of learning is emphasized for all ages. Not only is Ithaca a college town, but it also has a walkable downtown pedestrian mall called the Commons. A well-known professor, Carl Sagan, taught at Cornell for many years. There is a to scale planet walk around the Commons and downtown that demonstrates the thirst for knowledge. With fewer than 30,000 permanent residents, the members of Ithaca also celebrate significant cultural and ethnic diversity.

The Nature

Ithaca really is “gorges”! Being active can actually be fun when you are hiking and swimming in some of the most naturally beautiful spots in upstate New York. Aside from many state park sites and ample camping opportunities, even a drive or bike around the area is breathtaking. The town is located at the bottom tip of Cayuga Lake, which offers many water sport activities and can even be daringly walked on in the dead of our icy winters. The many large waterfalls are a huge attraction for tourists, and gorge jumping is a somewhat illegal but beloved pastime of the inhabitants of the area.

Shopping

Retail therapy in town can be a bit of a disappointment, but there are definitely some boutiques where you can score some eccentric threads. Also, one can never go wrong with a trip to Wegmans. And you will always find both the best food and someone you know there. Yes, professors, doctors, and old friends from school all enjoy the best supermarket in America, too.

Collegetown Bagels

Both townies and students alike are drawn to CTB. Whether it’s for a morning cup, some delicious and unique sandwiches, a pastry over an interview, or a bite after a late night out, this local chain is the preference for many Ithacans. My personal favorite is the Dewitt Melt, a toasted Bialy with coleslaw, tomato, and swiss cheese. It’s always fun to read through the menu of specialty drinks named for astrological signs, famous celebrities, and TV personalities.

The food

It is rumored Ithaca has more restaurants per capita than New York City. The local food trucks, authentic cuisines from around the world, myriad vegan and gluten free options, and even a restaurant entirely devoted to waffles are just part of the impressive array of options. If you can name it, it’s probably here. A must try is That’s How I Roll sushi burritos that are part of the Asian fusion plates here.

The farmer’s market

Where else can you find a permanent wooden structure full of lively people, fresh vegetables, local artisans, organic meals, and live music, that is ALSO right on the lake? The open air Ithaca Farmer’s Market was the location of my senior prom and also of many breathtaking outdoor weddings. It is a wonderful way to immerse in an enviro-conscious and friendly culture.

Local art

There is something so unique about the abundance of commissioned street art that is present at nearly every block of downtown Ithaca. Additionally, the growing local music scene is something truly incredible to experience. There is so much talent and beauty just waiting to be shared with the world, but sometimes you have to dig around to find it.

Ithaca Festival

This tradition encompasses the heart and soul of the town. At the beginning of every summer, a quirky parade begins the weekend. Dancing, live music, and local vendors fill the closed off streets of downtown. It is amazing to see all of the personalities that come out and fun clothing pairings that I only aspire to emulate. Other seasons boast Porchfest, Chili Fest, Apple Harvest Fest, Ice Fest, and more.

Cornell