Oakland is so much more than the violence it’s stereotyped for

The native’s guide to Oakland

For years, Oakland was known as the town across the Bay from San Francisco, the cheaper alternative for people who couldn’t afford the egregious prices San Fran’s real estate market. Nonetheless, Oakland, and our identity as The Town, has changed drastically over the past couple years. A diverse mix of people moving into neighborhoods known for violence has transformed these once murder-heavy places into centers of culture.

The amazing food

People of all races from places all over the world come to Oakland to mingle, making Oakland one of the top food hubs in the country. In any neighborhood, from Fruitvale to Chinatown to Rockridge, you can find authentic cuisine from any country your stomach desires.

You can expand your mind

Our local Oakland Museum provides an alternative to a traditional museum as most exhibits focus on important cultural aspects of Oakland; for example, they have had exhibits on Mac Dre, medical marijuana, and the creation of Pixar characters. On Friday nights, food trucks park in front of the museum, and on those nights, I love to buy a few street tacos from Tacos Mi Rancho and sit on the museum’s rooftop garden overlooking the beautiful lights around Lake Merritt. If science is more your forte (it certainly isn’t mine), you can admire the galaxy through the gargantuan microscope at the Chabot Space and Science Center.

We’re home to great sports

The A’s may suck and O.Co Coliseum, home of the A’s and the Raiders, may be one of the worst venues in all of professional sports, but hey, where else can you get an $18 ticket to a baseball game with a $6 food voucher and manage to find seats in the first level? Plus, the A’s and the Raiders make the playoffs every now and then, and the atmosphere at those games is unlike anything else. And although Warriors tickets may cost an arm, a leg, and two kidneys, Oakland is the only place that’s home to four All-NBA players on one team.

The port is beautiful

If you want to glide over the Bay in FDR’s personal vessel, the USS Potomac, and gaze up at magnificent cranes that I refuse to believe did not at least partially influence the AT-AT walkers in Star Wars, the Port of Oakland is the place for you. However, these attractions are not my favorite part of the Port; if you’re really lucky and go to the Port on the right day, you may get a glimpse of some absolute daredevils doing tricks on Harley Davidsons as they coast along side the water.

The spectacular views

This is much more of a teenager activity, but the spectacular view spots that give perfect layouts of Oakland, Berkeley, and the San Francisco skyline are all over Oakland. Grizzly Peak is by far the most famous, with hundreds of people driving up to the top of the mountain every day just to look out over the Bay Area. Many people also travel to the shockingly beautiful Mountain View Cemetery that resembles a large Zen garden overlooking San Francisco. Still, if you manage to get some insider knowledge, you’ll find equally incredible, much more secluded places like Butters or Labyrinth.

It’s great for kids

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget about the little tykes. Growing up in Oakland, I did have a few favorite places to visit. Children’s Fairyland is right across the street from previously Lake Merritt (and across the street from my elementary and middle school), and their combination of Ferris wheels, puppet shows, pirate ships, and a llama petting zoo is sure to give any visiting child a wonderful day. The Oakland Zoo was also a favorite of mine, and the gondola ride that floats over all the exhibits will thrill any child, but not as much as the tiger rollercoaster they have in the front of the zoo.

Redwood Regional Park

Think Oakland is all urban? Think again. Redwood Regional Park is the perfect place for a stroll, run, or bike ride through the sky high redwood trees. The park is so extensive, it’s actually really easy to get lost, so hike with caution. If you’re up for more of an intense, four mile, completely uphill hike, you can walk up the Claremont Canyon trail, which leads to, you guessed it, a gorgeous view.

It’s just a hop, skip, and a jump from San Francisco

So maybe you’ve grown tired of Oakland, and as a lifelong resident, I can tell you that it is very possible. Thankfully, a short drive over the Bay Bridge or a quick BART ride puts you right in the heart of San Francisco, one of the most bustling and culturally rich cities in the entire country. You can take a tour of the mission, rent a sailboat and go out on the Bay, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, go to a Giants game, walk along the Embarcadero, boat to Alcatraz, check out the Palace of Fine Arts (my personal favorite), or go one of the many spectacular but cold beaches along the coastline.

And once you’ve exhausted yourself in San Francisco, the welcoming arms of Oakland are there to bring you home.

Cornell