Cornellians think this Black History Month is the most lit and here’s why

It’s been a very eventful month

Between Beyoncé’s unapologetically Black Super Bowl Performance and video, Kendrick Lamar’s Grammy performance and President Barack Obama being named one of the most successful presidents in the history of the United States, this Black History Month has been pretty lit. So, we decided to ask Cornellians what Black History Month means to them personally – and why this one has been particularly great.

Paris Nowrouzi, Female, Gender and Sexuality Studies ’16

“I feel like Black History Month is just really important to me personally just because I’m half African-American, and as a biracial person who passes mostly for Latina, I feel like my heritage is often erased by casual observers. So, being able to have this time when I can celebrate this heritage is just really important to me.”

Michelle Juma, Urban and Regional Studies ’16

“I think this is the most lit Black History Month because we’re finally seeing media figures being unapologetically Black. They are just embracing Black joy, and really telling other people that we are not ashamed to not conform to typical ideals or cultures.”

Stephanie McCarter, Industrial and Labor Relations ’19

“This is the most lit Black History Month because we have mainstream Black artists who are speaking and being vocal and public about the Black struggle. It’s cool to be able to see like people up and center representing us as a whole so it’s for us to be coming together as a whole, so that’s why I think it’s the most lit.”

Dan Hughes, Asian Studies ’16

“I think the upcoming election is incredibly important. Everyone is pulling out all the stops, and there are a lot of issues going on. I think being vocal and articulate while reaching as many people as possible is a huge deal to both the Black community and to everyone, especially this year because this year seems to be hyper-intense, so why should this month be any different?”

Joseph Olo, Applied Economics and Management ’19

“This Black History Month is the best ever because [more] Black people have been admitted to Cornell University [than] in any other year. Also, this is the last year for President Obama who has done great things in office.”

Emmanuel Nimarko, Government ’19

“This one is the most lit because the value of Black lives to be thrust into the mainstream of American media with Formation, the whole Super Bowl “controversy”, Kendrick Lamar at the Grammys, Cam Newton losing the Super Bowl and people not liking his attitude and that being a factor of race apparently. It’s been a very eventful Black History Month, I’ll definitely say that. A lot of people now know about the Black Panthers, they have been pushed into the national mainstream again. I guess you could say it’s the most lit because it’s thrust the Black experience to the mainstream unlike years prior.”

Annabel Campo, History and Philosophy ’16

“So this is the most lit Black History Month definitely because of the new music that has come out. We have Kanye with ‘The Life of Pablo’, Rihanna with ‘ANTI’, and Kendrick gave a great performance for the Grammys so we had the Black community outshining everyone with the music industry, and it’s just a big ups.”

Cornell