We asked men and women if they identify as feminist

‘Feminism is defending women’s rights in the world’

Are you a feminist? So many people still recoil from saying they are, even if they agree with gender equality.

Politiqu’elles, a group seeking to empower women at Sciences Po, took to the streets in Reims to ask people for their definition of feminism – and if they would call themselves one.

From Politiqu’elles Reims

What’s most striking is the inaccuracy of some definitions. And from this misconstruction comes mistrust. That’s why, especially in democracy, it’s important to have an actual definition, to shut down those kind of mistakes, which prevent an actual progress in particular fields.

If we take Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s definition of feminism, from her Ted Talk “We should all be feminist”, or the excerpt in Beyoncé’s Flawless, being feminist means believing in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. And from this we can conclude that being feminist should indeed be common sense, and commonplace.

Feminism is gender neutral, it is only merely believing in what should be. It’s thanks to videos like this one that we can understand that there is still a fight to carry on, especially now that the 45th President of the United States holds power.

Thanks to Politiqu’elles for carrying on such an important fight.

Columbia University