If you want to protest Trump on campus this weekend here’s how

‘This is not a time to be silent’

In the wake of the election results on Tuesday, college students across the country have begun protesting. Columbia students have organized multiple events for this weekend.

If you are interested in participating, here is a list of what’s going on:

Student Walk Out

When: 11/11/2016 10:30 am

Where: Sundial/ grass in front of butler.

What: “WEAR ALL BLACK. Wear black lives matter shirts, wear fuck trump shirts, wear your Columbia latinx/a/o shirts and sweaters, wear your revolution gear.

“Bring posters or anything you’d like. We are meeting as a walk out from school, work, your daily life to stand in solidarity with other Colleges across the nation to protest Trump’s presidency, to let America know that we belong here.

“Existing is resisting. Visibility is so important. It will be a space to talk, organize with fellow peers and show that our communities will support each other in our unified fight against racism and the violence and hatred Trump stands for and has already instigated across the country. At 11 we will take a group picture. If you can only be there for 1 minute make it at 11:00am so we can show the power we have in numbers. Spread the word! If trump supporters want to come, let them. Make the racists scared again ! Be loud!”

Organizing and Standing in Solidarity

When: 11/10/2016-11/16/2016 daily times provided in event link

Where: Low Steps

Organized by: Mobilizing for Our Future

What: “We want to commit to being on the steps everyday for at least a week. We have paint and cardboard and people are welcome to make a sign helping to spread some positivity, or just come for support and a hug. We want to stand together and promote positive energy.

“Today while we demonstrated so many passersby expressed their gratitude for us being out there and said it made them feel better just to see us standing together. We want to be able to offer people some form of consistency in this inconsistent and tumultuous and scary time. So please come join us!”

Click here for the event link

This is what democracy will look like

When: 11/11/2016 4pm to 6pm

Where: College Walk

What: “This is not the time to be silent or isolated from one another. In the aftermath of this presidential election, join together to build up our progressive community on Barnard and Columbia’s campus, and lift up the voices of those most marginalized by this outcome. Come for support, speeches, and song.

“If your campus group would like to cohost this event, please contact us. It is an open event and we’d like to include all those interested.”

Click here for the event link

Open Meeting: Post Trump Organizing

When: 11/13/2016 5:30pm to 7pm

Where: Diana 504, Barnard

Organized by: Divest Barnard

What: “Join Divest Barnard for an open meeting to deconstruct Trump’s platform and start to break down what organizations are organizing around them (nationally and locally), and how students can be involved broadly. Hopefully we can then circle back and look at climate/economic justice mobilization locally and on campus.

“If you are a part of an organization or an individual that would like to help facilitate please reach out and help contribute. We are all processing and this will be an evolving process.”

Click here for the event link

Black and white photos by Emma Noelle

If there are any other events happening that should be added to this list, please message The Tab Columbia.

Columbia University