Yesterday’s Trump chalk stunt was pointless and inane

The people behind it pride themselves on upsetting students

Project Veritas is a conservative non-profit who claim to “Investigate and expose corruption, dishonesty, self-dealing, waste, fraud, and other misconduct in both public and private institutions in order to achieve a more ethical and transparent society.”

They also claim to be “the most effective non-profit on the national scene, period.”

How incongruous their message seems with the video they published yesterday, seeming to show a Columbia student crying over Trump graffiti scrawled on campus.

Filmed in late August, the video’s description reads: “James O’Keefe and Project Veritas Action journalists ‘trigger’ a Columbia University student while chalking for Trump. While chalking and building a mini wall, the Columbia student became overly emotional and scared. When the student continued to have a meltdown, campus security intervened and asked O’Keefe to leave.”

The student’s name and status as a Columbian are yet to be confirmed other than by Project Veritas itself.

Project Veritas is known for using undercover journalists in their videos. This begs the question of whether the girl featured in this video is a Columbia student at all.

Regardless, this video is just pointless trolling. The videos they make bait for reactions without providing anything insightful or of substance, other than to feed the right wing narrative that all students are special snowflakes.

screen-shot-2016-09-14-at-12-10-52-pm

A group that prides itself on upsetting students like at Columbia or Emory last spring isn’t contributing anything to political discussion – it makes a mockery of it.

This isn’t exposing corruption. This isn’t an investigation. This isn’t any of what they claim to be.

In this video, James O’Keefe isn’t the activist he says he is. He’s an obtuse loudmouth making a living by trolling.

Columbia University