‘Hide Away’ is the theme song of slut-shamers everywhere

Daya’s lyrics are anything but feminist

Although “Hide Away” came out last year, there’s no question that it’s one of the songs of the summer.

There are lots of songs that degrade women in pop culture radio hits but I can’t help pointing out the hypocrisy of Daya’s quasi-feminism.

In an interview with Fuse, Daya, was asked about the “overt feminist message” in her songs and said, that she hopes to “empower young girls to know they can do whatever they want to do” and “that they don’t have to depend on someone else for their happiness. They can find it themselves.”

#sorrynotsorry Daya, you’re doing just the opposite.

13743066_1030726200338692_456277731_n

The message in ‘Hide Away’ is supposedly about women valuing themselves

On the surface, it seems like the song is about waiting for a guy who will put “in the time that it takes” and “supply all of [her] heart’s demands” like it says in the chorus.

The rest of the song, in her sickly-sweet tone, is blatant slut-shaming.

“Boys seem to like the girls
Who laugh at anything
The ones who get undressed
Before the second date

“Boys seem to like the girls
Who like to kiss and tell”

Translation: boys like sluts and I’m distinguishing myself from those girls.

Basically, this song is slut shaming-disguised as female empowerment.

To top it off she says:

“Suit and tie because under cover
He’s going to save my life like superman”

Translation: I need a man to save me.

Fuck that.

Her other songs aren’t much better

The song “Sit still, look pretty” takes a different approach to her self-proclaimed feminism.

“This gal right here’s gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I’m gonna be because I wanna be
No, I don’t wanna sit still, look pretty

“Mr. Right could be nice for one night
But then he wanna take control
And I would rather fly solo”

“I don’t wanna be the puppet that you’re playing on a string
This queen don’t need a king”

It seems to be a lot closer to what she herself claims to be feminist lyrics, but still has subtle, misogynistic messages.

“Could dress up
To get love
But guess what?
I’m never gonna be that girl
Who’s living in a Barbie world”

“Could wake up
In make up,
And play dumb
Pretending that I need a boy
Who’s gonna treat me like a toy”

Translation: Women only dress up and put on makeup to please men so I won’t do that.

Shaming women for how they express themselves isn’t feminism.

14159216_10154417151949323_983825257_n

And the most confusing bit of ‘Sit still, look pretty’

“That Snow White
She did right
In her life
Had seven men to do the chores
‘Cause that’s not what a lady’s for”

It seems that both Daya and her writers didn’t bother to see what actually happened in Snow White.

In the Disney movie, she arrives at the Seven Dwarves’ house which has never been cleaned. She then proceeds to clean the house of these seven men. Then the Seven Dwarves come home with jewels from the mine they work at to a hot dinner cooking and Snow White in the bedroom.

I’m not making this stuff up, rewatch the movie yourselves. I could write an entire article about how Snow White is far from feminist but that’s besides the point: the line in her song doesn’t make sense nor would it be feminist if it did.

open-uri20150608-27674-18n7jnv_f3ec5b54

Daya, fire your songwriters if you’re a feminist

Empowerment isn’t about shaming women for what they chose to wear, their make up and their personal sexual choices.

It’s no secret that she’s a talented singer but with the way she’s writing now, I refuse to listen to her music.

@royaventurera

Columbia University