How to fit your shopping addiction into your Columbia dorm room

Girl, I got you

Living in New York City surrounded by the most amazing selection of stores to fulfil your fashion needs is often contradicted immensely by the shoebox apartments that most of us can afford.

Having lived in university housing for all of my college life I have figured out a few ways to store and even decorate your room with your latest buys!

Invest in a clothes rack

This has been the best way to display my latest finds, my most often worn pieces and the pieces that just don’t fit into what housing terms as a “closet”.

It also makes things extremely easy to find when you’re running late for that 8.40am class we all find ourselves in at least once in our school life.

The space beneath the rack acts as a great way to store shoes and the sides also allow you to hang bags.

Find innovative ways to maximize your closet space

If the space under the rack wasn’t enough, try looking online or in department stores for shoe storage like this…you could fit about 15 pairs of shoes in this one.

A full-length mirror is a must

Let’s state the obvious, we need see what we’re working with and standing on the toilet to see into the bathroom mirror just isn’t cutting it.

I’m sure every girl and even guy in your suite will be paying you to use your mirror. And even more, it will make your space look much bigger when it reflects that spec of light that finds its way through your window.

Use your purchases as decoration

Your room is supposed to make you feel comfortable and to represent your personality. This is home for the majority of the year, especially for an international student like me, so displaying my favorite issues of magazines from home always puts a smile on my face.

Keeping your jewelry and perfumes out in the open and close to your door always helps as they’re last thing you think about before you head out to release all your stress from the week on a Friday night!

Hope you’ll find something to work for you in here and remember despite all the housing rules, don’t be afraid to get creative!

Columbia University