Restaurants in Morningside Heights your parents should take you when they visit

Before you start your student budget

Morningside Heights isn’t particularly famous for its neighborhood food but there are actually quite a few quality restaurants only a few steps from Columbia.

Unfortunately, on a typical student budget these may not be the best options. Good thing visiting parents seem to adore filling the bellies of their struggling students.

Here’s a compilation of the best places to have your parents take you to dinner when they visit.

Flat Top

This is one of those restaurants where everything on the menu is amazing. Located on the northeast corner of W 121st and Amsterdam, this bistro café has some incredible takes on classics. One of the most recommended dishes, however, is the fusiony mentaiko and shiso udon pasta with a lemon beurre fondue sauce. They also have the best homemade ginger ale I’ve ever had.

Community Food & Juice

This is the place for brunch near campus. Unique, classy versions of brunch classics are served alongside delicious cocktails (if you’re of age).

There is both indoor and outdoor seating which is always a pleasant option when the weather allows.

Friedman’s

Friedman’s is one of the newest additions to the neighborhood, located on Amsterdam and W 118th. They have a large selection of locally sourced and seasonal foods.

Their fries are to die for!

Angaan

I actually discovered this place through Seamless since they do delivery and had such a high rating on the app. Since ordering it delivery the first time, I’ve gone in a few times to the actually restaurant, on Broadway and W 103rd which is beautifully decorated.

This is by far the best Indian food near campus.

Massawa 

This restaurant is really the gem of Morningside Heights. It’s tucked in below the Barnard dorm, Plimpton, on the corner of Amsterdam and W 121st. This family-owned restaurant has delicious entrees for one person or to share with a group.

The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. Sometimes there are members of the owner’s family around which really make it feel welcoming and homey.

All plates are served with and on top of traditional Ethiopian injera bread so get ready for a hands-on culinary experience.

Columbia University