Everything you were afraid to ask about going to Columbia

Honest advice from students and grads

There is so much that comes along with moving to New York City and attending Columbia. We all had questions before we began and stuff we wished we knew sooner.

We asked Columbia students and graduates what they thought is the best piece of advice they would give to incoming freshmen. Here are the results:

Issac Hurskin, 27, Melbourne, Australia (class of 2016)

“Columbia is more than just academics. Be sure to participate in student groups, work or volunteer for the school, and have fun exploring New York. The experience I got out of the classroom has been really valuable for both work and grad studies.”

Rochelle Jackson, 23, St. Thomas, Jamaica (class of 2017)

“Greek life is my second home. I have sisters to study with, volunteer with, cry with, make early morning and midday Starbucks runs with.”

Cameron McMahon, 30, Bristol, Vermont (class of 2018)

“Get really serious about your time management, and that includes making at least a little time for yourself every day.”

Aaron Ettl, 25, Los Angeles, California (class of 2016)

“When you run out of TP, make sure you have a fresh stock of Chipotle napkins.”

Maya Stackhouse, 22, Denver Colorado (class of 2017)

“Join Ski Team! My second best piece of advice would be show up. Actively pursue that which excites you. Maybe you find that inspiration in a class or through the people you meet in a student group. Maybe you immerse yourself in the culture of the city. Find what serves your overall well-being and happiness!”

Jacob Case, 26, Trenton, Ohio (class of 2018)

“Don’t fret the big things. Make sure to be active in something outside of school work that would allow you to make new friends.”

Nimi Pendurthi, 23, Birmingham, UK (class of 2018)

“Seamless and Postmates are your best friend.”

John Zeuner, 32, New Jersey (class of 2016)

“Listen to people that have been here longer and take advantage of all that you can.”

Jenna Fontaine, 21, San Bruno, California (class of 2017)

“Don’t be afraid to admit to yourself that you need help because it’s there.  You just need to make a move.”

Julia Ellis, 20, Westwood, Massachusetts (class of 2018)

“Do what you love, not what you’re best at.”

Christine Janumala, 21, Santa Ana, California (class of 2018)

“Don’t lose yourself. You were here before Columbia and you will be here after. Change, never compromise. Grow, never trample. And in the words of the Great GS Sage, Dean R.J. Jenkins: it will be hard, but that’s what you asked for.”

Well there you have it: stay true to yourself, make sure to maintain a life outside of your academics.

Columbia University