How to spice up finals week

Escape to Dodge for a cheeky round of boxing

Finals are upon us.

Drowning in work? Turned into a zombie? Moved into Butler? Fell asleep on your computer and had to go to class with a keyboard imprinted on your face?

The struggle is real but we got you… Here are a few things you can do to spice up your week.

Buy a pair of real (or fake) glasses

This simple trick will have you looking and feeling smarter in seconds.

When my eyesight finally got bad enough that I started wearing glasses, I couldn’t believe my new sense of belonging in Butler library.

Esra Ar (CC, sophomore)

Fake or real, glasses make you feel like a true student, a real academic.

It’s all about that intellectual look… head to Urban Outfitters to find your ideal pair of readers!

Prank dial

Shout out to my grandma for introducing me to this fantastic website, which will keep you entertained for hours.

Here is your chance to avenge the person who broke your heart, or to just trick friends and family.

Input the phone numbers of the people you wish to prank and a pre-recorded voice will call them. Pick your scenario: accuse them of breaking into a car, stealing someone’s girlfriend or committing credit fraud. The whole conversation will be recorded while you mischievously listen on. No one will ever know…

The ultimate playlist to Spice up your life

If England did one thing right, it was Spice Girls.

We can all learn a lot from their hit song, Spice up your life — “Slam it to the left/ if you’re having a good time/ Shake it to the right/ if you know that you feel fine.”

Summer Payton, Jillian Johnson and Sammy Raisin (BC, sophomores)

We all need to start shaking our booty more. Create the ultimate playlist to walk from the library to class, and lift your spirits in no time.

For inspiration, I would start with Gwen Stefani, Jason Derulo, Fergie and Christina Aguilera. From my experience, the tackier the music the more your booty shakes. Enjoy.

Bring the party to campus

Bummed because you didn’t have time to go out with your friends last weekend? Lonely in the library even though you’re in a room full of people? I have just the solution for you: get a dance mat.

You can easily carry it around and plug it into your computer whenever you need a study break.

Not only will you be able to get those endorphins kick-started with some exercise, but you can also invite that cute girl or guy you’ve had your eye on to come and have a boogie.

All you need is the mat, a corridor and your laptop, and you’ll never feel guilty for missing a night out again.

Buy a plant, it won’t break your heart

Whether you are a seasoned singleton or in a struggling relationship, everyone needs love.

It’s not easy to be constantly reminded of what you’re missing out on when you see couples cozying up in the library, or holding hands on college walk under the Christmas lights.

The best way to find love and to find it fast is to put away your Tinder urges and head to the Columbia Greenmarket on Broadway. The time has come to buy yourself a potted plant.

The more love and time you invest in your plant, the more it will grow and flourish. It will never break your heart.

And from succulents to orchids, there is a special plant for everybody. Pick your type…

Escape to a virtual world

It’s easy to get bored sitting in the library all day. So what better way to take a break than plunging into a virtual reality using a pair of supernatural goggles? It’s the 21st Century after all…

Get View-Master goggles, download the app and insert your phone into the goggles’ viewer.

You can travel to the destination of your choice: space, the Tower of London, an ancient Mayan city or the African Savanna.

Put your goggles on, sit tight and wait for the magic to happen. Procrastination doesn’t get any better. Have a nice trip!

Rent a date

Finals are synonymous with one thing: formals.

Whether you’re involved in Greek life, a sports team or an extra-curricular activity, you will probably have at least one formal to attend. But who to bring?

If you’re not seeing someone, the quest to find a date for formal can be a little daunting.

Beat the unnecessary stress and check out “Dates 4 Hire”. You’ll find a date in seconds. All you have to do is shop among the long list of eligible men and women. Do it for the Instagram and Facebook pictures. Obviously.

Comfort food

Natasha Porter (CC, sophomore)

The time has come to indulge in some comfort food.

Amy Ruth’s brings comfort food to a whole other level. Open 24/7, this Harlem gem offers a variety of Southern staples including corn bread and candied yams, but it’s particularly known for its waffles.

The most popular option, the “Rev. Al Sharpton”, consists of fried or smothered chicken on top of a butter-covered waffle drenched in maple syrup.

Yelp reviewer April Rose sums up the experience perfectly: “The chicken was nice and CRISPY and they weren’t just baby pieces. These pieces of chicken were huge! And the waffle. Yes the waffle was nice and big! Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside… DROOL…”

Get a pair of super-cute slippers

Do you miss returning home to your pet?

Well, why not come home to a pair of super cute animal slippers instead?

Not only will they keep your feet warm through the winter months but they’ll be waiting for you after every long day of studying.

Get gloved-up and go for a boxing sesh

The pent-up frustration from studying all day is inevitable. What better way to get rid of it than escaping to Dodge fitness center for a cheeky round of boxing? And if you go at the right time, the aerobics room will be all yours.

Natalie Trono (BC, freshman), Romina Alvarez Jimenez and Ariela Martin (BC, sophomores)

A pair of red Everlast gloves will make you feel like a total badass.

Get a pair of second-hand ones, borrow some from a friend… it doesn’t matter just get the gloves and go punch the stress away.

Google a boxing workout and print it out. That way you can strut over to the punching bag with confidence and purpose. Go on Spotify and look-up the most gangster rap playlist you can find. Blast it and you’re ready to go!

Columbia University